Inform Yahoo upon completion
« on: February 09, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »
Hello,

for what is this option "Inform Yahoo upon completion"? I have created an Yahoo App Id. Then I have created an sitemap. And now? Where can I see that yahoo is informed? Or what is this option?

Can you help me?

Thanks.
Re: Inform Yahoo upon completion
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 11:45:23 PM »
Hello,

sitemap generator informs yahoo about sitemap update (pings it) in this case.
You can also submit it manually: http://submit.search.yahoo.com/free/request
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:14:30 AM »
I submitted my feed using that url but for some reason the "last processed" date is always the last time I resubmitted it manually.  Why does it not reload it on its own and/or why does the yahoo ping apparently not work?

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:28:51 PM »
Please try to enter the Yahoo ping URL manually in browser and see if there is an error reported:
Code: [Select]
http://api.search.yahoo.com/SiteExplorerService/V1/updateNotification?appid=YOUR_YAHOO_APP_ID&url=YOUR_SITEMAP_URL
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:33:58 AM »
<Success>
<Message>Update notification has successfully submitted.</Message>
</Success>

I am not sure that test is useful.  I put in bogus appids and urls and it still said the same thing.

Please try to enter the Yahoo ping URL manually in browser and see if there is an error reported:
Code: [Select]
http://api.search.yahoo.com/SiteExplorerService/V1/updateNotification?appid=YOUR_YAHOO_APP_ID&url=YOUR_SITEMAP_URL
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 11:56:32 PM »
Hello,

does it update your "last processed" date after you open the ping URL manually in browser? If not, the problem should not be related to sitemap generator. Also, the ping just informs SE about sitemap update and doesn't guarantee that sitemap will be processed immediately.
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:18:46 PM »
No it is not updating even when I do it manually, but I wasn't sure that the generator was the problem to begin with.  It is more of a general question.  How do I get it to update properly?  AFAIK the data is correct in that url and the response is ok(but any URL will yield an ok response so....)

does it update your "last processed" date after you open the ping URL manually in browser? If not, the problem should not be related to sitemap generator. Also, the ping just informs SE about sitemap update and doesn't guarantee that sitemap will be processed immediately.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 02:29:23 PM »
As far as I know, Yahoo is currently intensively updating their developer API, so some feature may stop working for them. In my view, as long as you have it submitted to Yahoo's "My Sites", you should be all set. You can also manually resubmit it from time to time.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 04:08:55 PM »
I either missed something or walked off the stupid table. LOL

My generator works good. My question is about the files. After running it created sitemap.xml in my root directory. I went from not being on google to being in the top 3 of the first page. This is great !!!!

I have an RSS Feed to Yahoo that was set up about a month ago. Prior to using xml generator I was in the top 3 of Yahoo already. It's been less than a week since I installed this. Today I'm not showing up in the top 5 pages. I didn't look any deeper. Is there a file specific to Yahoo that I need to move, setup, or .... someone help ... Please?

I think this program is great. I think what I am missing is some fine tuning.  :-\

Thank you.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 01:11:54 AM »
Thank you. Do I need to move urllist.txt to where I have the sitemap.xml file located?
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 10:19:11 PM »
This is not required. Also, Yahoo is currently supporting xml sitemaps protocol, so you can submit the same sitemap for both Google and Yahoo.