Script dies when calculating changelog
« on: November 08, 2005, 05:02:49 PM »
I am having problems producing an XML Sitemap for my site.

The script runs all day just fine but then in the final stages it chokes when calculating the changelog. I know the problem is not with my hosting because I am now running the same on my local machine (I cannot run the script at all any other way as I am on shared hosting and the script dies too often).

This is where it dies:
Resuming the last session (last updated: 2005-11-08 16:42:56)<script>fupdate('try-my/lm_images/_notes/?C=D;O=D',
'0',
'38774',
'1,799,328.1',
'407:12',
'0:00',
'7',
'-',
'38658',
'0'
);</script>
<h4>Completed</h4>Total pages indexed: 38658<br>Calculating changelog...

I have the data directory backed up just before the script tries to calculate the changelog but can not get it to go through from there. do you have any idea where I should go from here?
Re: Script dies when calculating changelog
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 07:57:06 PM »
Hi,

changelog calculation is a resource-intensive function and may take a long time for large sites. Are you sure the script dies? (may be it is just working for long). Do you see any error message in error.log?
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 05:22:16 PM »
Yes, the script definitely dies and no error log is produced.

I was using php on Apache in XP Pro and it seems to work fine for most other things ... it just looks to me that the script is killed when CPU usage is high but the settings seem fine in php.ini  ???

I have since set this up by booting into Linux and it seems to work fine (and much faster) on there ... I will probably just define the host locally in order to produce sitemaps in the future. The php and Apache configs are identical so I do not know what is causing the issue. I am happy to let it run through on Linux locally and then find / replace localhost in the output but would like to help find a solution as this issue could also affect other people when they crawl larger sites.

If you need anything from me (config files etc then just let me know)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 12:33:34 AM »
Well.. an option to disable the changelog calculation can be implemented to reduce the load.