Individual attributes & resulting prioritisation
« on: April 30, 2007, 02:34:18 PM »
Hi,
I've just installed the generator and have been working through setting it up.

I added in individual attributes like so:
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

The first is the home page, obviously, which I want to be priority 1.0.
The second is the blog home which I'd like to be 0.8 and thirdly, the Services page which I want set at 0.9

The problem is, this then generates the sitemap with ALL pages at priority 1.0. I can understand why but my site does not link to the home page using index.php so the above is the only way I can set the priority for the home page.

In my mind the software needs to take the above as meaning those specific pages and using a wildcard to denote where the priority should be set for entire folders.

For example:
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]*,,daily,0.8

The above would set my home page to 1.0 and my services page to 0.9. It would then also set ALL pages on my blog to 0.8.

Also, my blog URLs are in the following format: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] so even better would be this:
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ],com/blog/category/*,,daily,0.7
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ],com/blog/([0-9]+)/*,,,0.8
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ],com/blog/*,,daily,0.6

The above would set all blog posts (see how the regex matches the ID number) to 0.8 and all category pages to 0.7 while the rest would be set at 0.6.

Otherwise it's really difficult to set individual priorities for the most important pages. Especially the home page and blogs where manually updating the site map would be required each time the blog is updated.

Phil
Re: Individual attributes & resulting prioritisation
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 10:53:17 PM »
Hello,

please try to enter your homepage attributes in the last line (instead of the first line).
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 11:50:35 AM »
Hmm... okay, I did that. The pages that I specify before the home page have the correct prioritisation, but then the home page and all other pages still have prority 1...

How about the regex?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 11:36:48 AM »
BINGO!