sitemap errors
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:53:54 AM »
Hi I have recieved an e-mail to say my site map has been installed, which it has, but when I run a check on google tools I get this answer about it
 "Unsupported file format
Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit."
Can any one tell me what this means and how I address it?
Many thanks
Damla
Re: sitemap errors
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 01:38:11 PM »
Hi,
 my web address is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].
Damla
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »
Also can you let me know where the "special page" is so I can sort out my bad links?
The broken links are detected by the application and reported on the special page, providing also the URLs pages that refer to these bad links.
Another question, do I have to upload my website with the new map on to my computer before working on changes to the site?
Sorry I am a bit new to computers and webs
Thankyu
Damla
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 08:21:02 AM »
Hello,

I've submitted http://www.koycegizdamla.com/sitemap.xml to Google and it reported no errors (sitemap is valid).
Also can you let me know where the "special page" is so I can sort out my bad links?
The broken links are detected by the application and reported on the special page, providing also the URLs pages that refer to these bad links.
You should modify the "source" pages of your site reported in that  list - find the "target" link (which is broken) and correct it.
Another question, do I have to upload my website with the new map on to my computer before working on changes to the site?
There is no need to download sitemap to your local computer - it should be updated on your host only.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 05:31:32 PM »
Thank you for your reply, but where is the "list" to correct the link errors to my pages.  I am also thinking of purchasing the Google support package, but as I am intending redesigning my site in the near future I don't know if to wait untill I have done this or wether I will be able to inform my changes and have the newsite resubmitted to Google
Thanks for your help
Damla
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 05:02:58 PM »
In case of Standalone Generator the list is located in the "Broken Links" tab.