MSN sitemap submission
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:53:26 PM »
Hello:

How can I submit the sitemap to MSN search engine?

We have found sitemap submission for yahoo and google, but not MSN. Any one can help?

Dennis
Re: MSN sitemap submission
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 01:29:58 AM »
Hello,

there are no sitemap submission forms for MSN, but you can add the following into your robots.txt:

Code: [Select]
Sitemap:http://www.domain.com/sitemap.xml
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:04:36 AM »

Type this in your web browser

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

Make sure you leave the ASCII characters as they are and of course, use your actual domain name.

Many of us have been aware of this since October 2006. 
Join the xml-sitemaps affiliate program and get paid for sales referrals -
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 02:51:47 PM »
AustinWebTechs, it doesn't work
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 03:35:00 PM by admin »
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
Hello,

currently there is no "official" sitemap ping service for MSN, moreover service can be used instead. You can find more details on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sitemaps#Submitting_Sitemaps
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 05:35:36 PM »
That was my copy & paste error.   :-[  I had several forum windows open & pasted the wrong link into the xml-sitemaps forum.  We were discussing suggestions for MSN and working submission techniques for other search bots.

That wikipedia link is nice but has errors in the document.  You have to remember that wikipedia is not an authority site.  The authors are just regular people submitting information and are rarely experts on the material they have posted.

The preferred sitemap submission method is to use your actual domain and just add
Sitemap: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
to your robots.txt file. 
Their bots will find your sitemap and save you a lot of extra work.

For MSN/Live Search, you could use their URL submission page to submit your sitemap URL but it won't guarantee their bots will immediately crawl the site.

The ASK.com sitemap submission works but there are much better methods to use for getting included in their search results.
Join the xml-sitemaps affiliate program and get paid for sales referrals -

mesothelioma

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 12:59:54 PM »
MSN does not have a sitemap submission system yet.
They also crawl much differently.
Look at your statistics and see that the MSN spider only hits one page once at most and has no other bots like google or yahoo who have a few who go deeper each time into your website.
Msn spiders are much more straightforward really. They just visit like a human and look at each page from the homepage.
If you re-submit your URL to their live search submission everytime you update stuff on your website they will come back withing a few days and reflect those changes.
I much prefer MSN and hope that Microsoft overtake google and yahoo.
Yahoo isn't even honest results but simply an advertising network.

mizanbdit

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:37:01 AM »
Better to have a link to sitemap.html in Home page
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
Hello:

I try the ask.com and MSN  link, but it does not work:

What is wrong?

Dennis

tonytanlh

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 08:57:42 AM »
That was my copy & paste error.   :-[  I had several forum windows open & pasted the wrong link into the xml-sitemaps forum.  We were discussing suggestions for MSN and working submission techniques for other search bots.

That wikipedia link is nice but has errors in the document.  You have to remember that wikipedia is not an authority site.  The authors are just regular people submitting information and are rarely experts on the material they have posted.

The preferred sitemap submission method is to use your actual domain and just add
Sitemap: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
to your robots.txt file. 
Their bots will find your sitemap and save you a lot of extra work.

For MSN/Live Search, you could use their URL submission page to submit your sitemap URL but it won't guarantee their bots will immediately crawl the site.

The ASK.com sitemap submission works but there are much better methods to use for getting included in their search results.

Would there be any difference between sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz?