Only 1 page being crawled
« on: June 14, 2007, 07:50:51 AM »
Hi,

I am running generator on

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

Only the page forsale.php is being crawled as this is the only page linked from the index page in the body of the document, however there are many other links to the rest of the site in the menu which is dyanmically driven from a MySQL db using and uses Javascript. How can I get these pages indexed (I don't want html links on this site the client likes the navigational menu as it is).

Thanks
Re: Only 1 page being crawled
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 11:06:44 PM »
Hello,

if you want to keep your javascript menu, you should still duplicate all links in html code as normal links so that sitemap generator AND search engine bots can crawl your site successfully. This is very important to get your site indexed.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 03:35:47 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't understnad why Javascript links are not OK? After all Javascript is a recognised client sided scripting language so I can't see why a search engine can't follow a link in a javascript menu?

Are you really telling me that a search engine cannot follow a link to a new window generated in Javascript and can only follow a link in an <A href='mypage.html'> format? I don't think so. I've many sites which have been succesfully crawled including pages linked only through Javascript.

I'm going to ask the obvious question - is this is perhaps a failing of sitemap generator rather than something that is a 'must' for search engines.
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 05:14:14 PM »
This is taken from the Google Webmaster Guidelines

Use a text browser such as Lynx to examine your site, because most search engine spiders see your site much as Lynx would. If fancy features such as JavaScript, cookies, session IDs, frames, DHTML, or Flash keep you from seeing all of your site in a text browser, then search engine spiders may have trouble crawling your site.
Philip Nicosia