Re: system keeps stopping
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2008, 04:02:45 PM »
Well all of a sudden It seems to be working now..I guess...

But I did come across a problem with the generation...the sitemap files which are limited by 50,000 pages exceeds the file size limit of 10M mine come in at 12.5M.  How can I limit the links/sitemap from 50,000 to say 40k or 25k?  I saw in config,inc.php this line which had 'xs_sm_size' => '50000', is this where I can limit the size?

Also I checked off .gzip will the generator create new files or do I need to create templates?  I checked it off yesterday and ran it last night but I don't see the .gzip sitemaps on the server?

I assume the directory sitemap will still be sitemap.xml which will list the sub sitemap files that are gzipped so I don't need to resubmit a whole new sitemap?  Do I need to submit the subfiles...i.e. sitemap1.xml..etc. to google or does it automatically go to them because they are called out on the main file?
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »
Hi there..

I have the same problem as the others but am not as technically minded as they are and this is beyond me. It seems the same answers are given as the possible cause of the generator stalling.
I have tried getting this to work now for a week and have fast lost patience with it.

I also paid for the installation, but no one contacted me about this, just sent the link email. :-(

Suggestions welcomed
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »
I saw in config,inc.php this line which had 'xs_sm_size' => '50000', is this where I can limit the size?
Yes, exactly.

Also I checked off .gzip will the generator create new files or do I need to create templates? 
You should create empty files like sitemap.xml.gz, sitemap1.xml.gz etc and set 0666 permissions for them, since sitemap generator itself will not have permissions to create files.

Do I need to submit the subfiles...i.e. sitemap1.xml..etc. to google or does it automatically go to them because they are called out on the main file?
I would recommend to resubmit sitemap once filenames were changed (you should only submit the main URL - sitemap.xml.gz, which has links to other sitemap files).

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:47 PM »
Hello,

an email was sent to you requesting FTP login details to proceed with installation. Please send your FTP account info to contact (at) xml-sitemaps.com

Hi there..

I have the same problem as the others but am not as technically minded as they are and this is beyond me. It seems the same answers are given as the possible cause of the generator stalling.
I have tried getting this to work now for a week and have fast lost patience with it.

I also paid for the installation, but no one contacted me about this, just sent the link email. :-(

Suggestions welcomed
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2008, 09:33:15 PM »
At this point I'm back to my original question...it seemed to be working...but as before when I would do a manual run...I get the popup window asking what to do with index.php...and dies..so I'm not 100% certain that the cron job is running completely...I turned on the gzip compression and after a couple of days I still wasn't getting all my pages indexed in the sitemaps...so I reverted back to non-gzip and tried doing manual to start it again as I have the cron job set to go every night at 3am as I am upload lots of pages now and I want to get them in ASAP...but I can't even do that...

How long is this going to take to resolve this????
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2008, 03:50:27 PM »
Hello,

you can check the crawl_dump.log file in generator/data/ folder to see it's size and last modification time to check the progress. You can also open a Changelog page in sitemap generator to see if sitemaps are created.

Do not forget that if you enable gzip compression you should manually create *.gz files.
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »
It only hangs when I do it manually...it lasts for 5-10min then it dies...

If I let it proccess through my cron job...it works fine....yes the crawl dump is building as it's crawling...I assume once it's finished crawling it takes all the data out of the crawl dump file and create the sitemaps from that?

But yes I did create .gz files for all the required sitemaps and set those to 0666.
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2008, 10:00:37 PM »
Yes, that's correct. When sitemap generator is running as a cron job it usually uses different PHP settings than web based scripts and that allows it to run longer until sitemap generation is completed.