XML file unwritable
« on: December 18, 2005, 09:52:38 PM »
I'm using the standalone version and trying to produce a site map for a vbulletin forum.

The script installs and seems to run OK, although I'm getting a "XML file unwritable" error in the config panel.  I've CHMOD'd the permission as recommended in the documentation, and even tried 777 without any success.  This problem occurs with, and without ".gz" compression.

Any ideas?

The forum IS a sub-domain, I'm reluctant to use the absolute path as I only want the sub-domain indexed.

Thanks!
Re: XML file unwritable
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 10:39:27 PM »
Hi,

Please make sure that you have set permissions to the file specified in "Save sitemap to:" to 0666 (you should create this file first).
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 01:02:49 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I did start with 0666 as the permission...that didn't work.

I created an XML file placed it at the site's root.  I named the file "sitemap.xml" and made sure that info was in the config page along with the correct path. 

Any other ideas?

Thanks -P
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 01:39:50 AM »

Is this file actually modified after sitemap generation? (i.e., the warning message is wrong and permissions are ok in fact?)

Please also PM me the URL of your generator instance to let me see this.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 10:04:54 AM »
I've got the exact same error

Sitemap.xml is there with the corect permission but keep getting the error that the sitemap file is not writable.
The path is correct and I tried both public_html and public_html/sitemap

I'm getting PHP errors when the crawler is running but am not able to read them because they disappear to fast in the browser :-)

The only thing I can imagine is that there is an error in the path translation

settings are :

Save sitemap to:
public_html/sitemap.xlm

and this is translated to :

Current path to Sitemap generator is: /home/pspwerel/public_html/sitemap/

maybe my hoste doesn't allow such deep path's

Please advice
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 12:06:08 PM »
Hello Stefan,

please send me the URL of your Generator instance in Private Message so that I can take a look.
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »
Hello!

The "Save sitemap to:" options should contain the full filename. After I changed it to "/home/pspwerel/public_html/sitemap.xml", it seems to be ok now. :)