broken links - old files no longer exist
« on: January 01, 2006, 03:20:09 PM »
I have over 250 broken links. These are all old files which were deleted when I redid my web site. I can't find any reference to them in my home page. They show up as 404. Do I worry about them? How can I get rid of them? Thank you.
Re: broken links - old files no longer exist
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 05:50:52 PM »
Hello,

please check the "Broken links" page, you will find the exact URLs of the pages that contain broken links. Then simply remove all refences to the dead links and perform a new crawling session.
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 07:37:01 PM »
The problem is that the page referred to no longer exists. It was removed a long time ago.

Eg. VideoAtari/AtariOriginalController.htm is referred from Main Folders/Atari.htm. The second one, Main Folders/Atari.htm does not exist in my web and hasn't for a very long time.
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
Hello,

you don't need the page that is referred to here. You should modify pages where broken links are refered from.
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »
Yes, but the pages they are referred from no longer exist and haven't for a long time.
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 10:15:13 AM »
Hello,

I just checked the /MainFolders/Atari.htm URL at your site and the pages is opened successfully (i.e., the page exists :) )
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 03:54:41 PM »
The pages are not in my folders list or in naviation, etc. Every link checker I have tried does not find them. I expect they are old cached pages or something. I can not find them in my html on my index page. Is there something in my setup pages for the generator I should change? Should I just not worry about them.
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:04:51 PM »
Hi,

it is better to fix the broken links at your site.
You should modify /MainFolders/Atari.htm file at your host and remove the dead links from it.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 01:14:09 AM »
I don't know who you are but your magic words "at your host" answered everything. I didn't know and wouldn't have thought of it. Thank you very much!