Very new to the world of sitemaps...
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:55:12 PM »
I have an adult site that I have generated an xml file for using your free program. I saved it as sitemap.xml and uploaded it to godaddy on my site. however when I try to look at the site [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] I get this message:
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource '[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]'. Line 1, Pos...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

I also tried to use your validator and got this message,
Schema validating with XSV 2.10-1 of 2005/04/22 13:10:49
Schema validator crashed
The maintainers of XSV will be notified, you don't need to send mail about this unless you have extra information to provide. If there are Schema errors reported below, try correcting them and re-running the validation.

Target: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
   (Real name: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
    Length: 11103 bytes
    Last Modified: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 18:17:22 GMT
    Server: Apache)
The target was not assessed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Low-level XML well-formedness and/or validity processing output

Warning: Misplaced xml declaration; treating as PI
 in unnamed entity at line 1 char 8 of [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Error: Character data not allowed in prolog
 in unnamed entity at line 2 char 1 of [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

I did call godaddy and I am uploading the page correctly etc. He seemed to think there was something weird about the code.
I would prefer not to put my link up here as it is an adult site but I am happy to send it to an admin/tech along with the code etc. Also is there an xml validator that will validate the code itself? I might could figure out what's wrong by using something like that.
Also in reading some of the board, I am not sure about the difference between an html site directory and an xml one? I mean I know the xml is for spiders and the html is for peeps, but how do you make an html site?
Is it just a page with your different pages on it in text-based links? If so that's easy. If not, I may need some 'splaining....
Thanks so much for your patience. I am pretty new to all this and I don't know any xml which is why I'm a bit confuzzled about the sitemap thingy.

Re: Very new to the world of sitemaps...
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:22:52 AM »
Hello,

make sure that you do not copy/paste contents of xml sitemap, but right click on it and select "Save as" instead to avoid any issues with xml syntax.

HTML sitemap is used for regular visitors and you should put the link to it somewhere on your site if you use it.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 12:34:13 AM »
Hi, PotPieKitty!

I just recently utlized the sitemap generator and originally tried to modify the output....mainly because their generator did not pick up my other pages due to the way my hosting service's website builder sets ups the webpages.  When I added the other pages to the schema, the "lastmod" field was not updating from my hosts servers....I don't know why because I clicked on that option for it to do so, but it didn't.  Anyway, I got the same error messages of, "Low-level XML well-formedness and/or validity processing output";   I finally figured out that the field was empty and their generator did not like that, so, I had to go back in a manually enter at least the date, since it is a 10 character field (xxxx-xx-xx), counting the spaces, and the sitemap schema needs this field to have at least 10 characters in order to not generat error messages.    :o  (You can get this info from your server or by going through FTP access....next to each file on the server is info about it, including the last time those files were updated....this is what this field is looking for.  I don't know what field you are having trouble with because you didn't show that info....but I'm sure you can figure it out if you look at the sitemap that was generated and make sure that their is some value between the parentheses:

<url>
  <loc>[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]</loc>    (this is NOT a valid site address!)
  <priority>0.5</priority>
  <lastmod>2007-11-06T21:28:58+00:00</lastmod>
  <changefreq>daily</changefreq>
</url>

Each field above MUST have data so as not to generate an error...I assume this will go away on its own once you update your site...the files that have been updated automatically change the fields above, but until then, an error message will be generated.  Once I entered a date in my <lastmod> field, the sitemap came up perfect.

Hope this helps! ;D
Deblyn
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:30:12 AM »
thank you both very much for your time and answers!  :D