google sitemap error
« on: November 12, 2007, 10:12:54 PM »
Hi

I have submitted my website  to Google sitemap and added meta verify code into my website and the verify was successful. After 2 days there is a sitemap status error under Google Webmaster tools which states.....

Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit

I have read guidelines and dont know what I have done wrong in the first place ?

Have anyone seen this error before?

Please advice.
Thanks
sparrow >:(
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 10:45:13 PM by admin »
Re: google sitemap error
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 01:07:03 PM »
I submitted [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] to Google sitemap
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:59:42 PM by admin »
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »
you mean I have to create a webpage as sitemap.xml before I submit www.xml-sitemaps.com/sitemap.xml ?

i have submitted [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] but failed to work

Thanks
Gareth
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:11:06 AM by admin »
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
ahh I resubmiited [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and it works then came up with different choices of downloads, what do i do next ?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:11:33 AM by admin »
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 09:01:18 PM »
sorry me again, I have downloaded sitemap file to my desktop then uploaded to the private folder of my site as there is no public folder, is that right ?

Then to web google webmaster account then choose code serch sitemap (is that correct?) and there is a problem after uploaded sitemap file of my site in the private folder, the error message came up....

The Sitemap must be located at [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]. To add a Sitemap at [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ], first add that site to your account and then click the Add a Sitemap link beside it.

Dont understand this ? Please help.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 12:12:19 AM by admin »
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:13:02 AM »
You should upload resulting sitemap.xml file to your domain root, then make sure that it can be opened in browser with http://www.domain.co.uk/sitemap.xml URL.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »
i have uploaded sitemap.xml file into root directory and checked [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
but came up HTTP 404 page error

I have checked root directory and the sitemap.xml file is in the root.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 03:39:38 AM by admin »
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 08:58:55 PM »

"... sitemap status error under Google Webmaster tools which states.....

Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit

I have read guidelines and dont know what I have done wrong in the first place ?

Have anyone seen this error before?

Please advice.
Thanks
sparrow >:(

Yes, I'm getting the same thing.  I've been trying all day to make this thing work, and I don't see what the problem is.  One thing: Google says to put the .xml file in your top level directory, not, as this sitemap generator says to "public_html/" which cannot be created anyway.  There is no such type of file, and it cannot be created.

As far as I can tell, what I got from the downloaded .xml file looks good.  I don't know what the problem is.  I'm about to give up.
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2007, 12:18:21 PM »
Please let me know your sitemap URL.

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

I know, the name is long, but I had to distinguish this one from another one that I have been trying to get Google to accept.  I messed around with this all day yesterday, and still no results.  Google just keeps saying it doesn't meet their standard.  I have tried to create one using Google's very complicated Sitemap Generator, and have uploaded all the files to my top level directory. I'm supposed to run a script, but I don't see how to do that, and they don't explain it. So, I came here to this website and created the above.  As stated above, Google won't accept it.

I have no idea what the problem is or what they are looking for.  It looks good to me.

wnotis  >:(
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 12:54:15 AM by admin »
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 12:53:41 AM »
Hello,

you should create a "new site" entry in Google webmaster account with http://www.mydomain.com/oh2/kinsmantile/ URL and then submit sitemap into it.
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 10:47:06 AM »
Hello,

you should create a "new site" entry in Google webmaster account with [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] URL and then submit sitemap into it.

I assume you mean replacing "mydomain.com" in the above example with kinsmantile.com.  But I don't see how that could work, as that will not take any browser to my site.  My site is at [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]. It gets forwarded to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].  The URL [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] will not get you anywhere. It doesn't exist. There is no such Website.

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] (as stated above, it gets forwarded to Angelfire) has already been submitted to Google last Monday, and has been verified.  The next step was to submit a Sitemap.  That's where I'm having trouble.  Google has no problem with [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].

Or, could you mean to resubmit a new site,  [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and THEN resubmit my sitemap?

What I don't understand here is that they apparently DO find the Sitemap file.  What they are saying is that it is not in the proper format.  According to what I read on this Website, the .xml file created with the free generator should be in the format that they require (i.e. Sitemap Protocol 0.9, as per Sitemap.org) It appears that it is; so the question remains: What's wrong? There must be something.