wej

Not all pages being included in site map
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
I purchased the Unlimited PHP Sitemap Generator with installation.
It has run and shows about 66 pages but it is not picking up all my pages?  We are missing about a 1000+ pages.
For example, selecting one typical but unselected page at ramdom, the page [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] does not appear in the site list.
I suppose my question is "is the installation complete? " Or do I have do anything more? 
That will not be a problem but just need to know.

Wej Parry
Re: Not all pages being included in site map
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
Hello,

please let me know how that page can be reached starting from your homepage?

wej

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 05:00:20 PM »
I thought I had replied about 30 mins ago but can't see it in the forum so here we go again.
Don't fully understand the question as new to sitemaps but
The entry point is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
There are 1998 other program files ( mixed HTM/HTML/PHP ) in the public_html directory.
I had expected ( wanted ) all these to be in the sitemap.

Currently about 66 entries in the sitemap.xml.
These 66 are all the older programs ( some 4 years old ) .
The majority of the other 1930 plus are all new porgrams added in the past two weeks in preparation for the start of using sitemaps.

Last ime I attached the results files sitemap.xml  and ror.xml ( even though the file type .xml was not lsted as a permitted file type for attachment ).  Could that explain how my original response did not get through ( or am I too impatient ).

Wej Parry
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »
Hello,

Sitemap Generator has a built-in crawler that "browses" your site similar to normal visitor, i.e. it opens your homepages and finds all links on it, then it opens all found links one-by-one and finds links on them too etc.
That's why there must be a "path" to reach your pages, starting from your main page, like having a catalog/directory of your products pages.

wej

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 11:26:57 PM »
O.K.  I think I understand.  The 66 pages that are included in the sitemap.xml can all be accessed from various combinations of user interaction starting on the front user screen.

The 1930 pages that have not been picked up have been added in the past three weeks and are all "response pages". These response pages are not listed in the front page or directly mentioned in any susequent user inter-action. They are planned not as a result of user interaction within our main site process but as responding to matching external search functions.
Our plan was to include a series of  "response pages" that is presented to the customer by the content of that page matching  up to various search terms entered by the customer into a search engine and that search engine would find an exact match in our various "response pages" as the result of a standard periodic crawl through the site.

I see I have three options. 
1 To include a call to each and every one of the 1930 response pages from within the first page or the most popular user access pages from within the 66 pages that have been found.
2.  Include a User visible Sitemap that contains references to each of the 1930 pages.  ( hence your HTML sitemap ?)
3. Doctor the current sitemap.xml that has been created for the 66 "visible" pages  by "manually" inserting references to  the other 1930 pages.

If I have understood the situation correctly all three approaches could work.

Which would you recomment?

Wej Parry
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:30:49 PM »
Hello,

I would recommend scenario #2, so that those URLs will always be included when sitemap is re-generated. That sounds like the most flexible way to get them found in your case.

wej

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 11:24:50 PM »
O.K.  Thank you.
Consider this matter now closed.

Wej Parry
 :)