Feature request? URL rewrite for "display" form
« on: January 30, 2008, 12:05:38 AM »
Hi Oleg,

Could you consider adding a "hook" which calls an optional user-supplied PHP function
which would allow a re-write of the URL string, and use the resulting string as the output
into the sitemap?

I would like my sitemaps to contain SE "friendlier" forms, instead of the parameter-ful
forms found my traversing the site. A display-form post-processing function would
allow that, as in the way a ".htaccess" rewrite might do.

Thanks!
-John

Re: Feature request? URL rewrite for "display" form
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 08:10:53 PM »
Hello,

I would not recommend to rewrite URLs in this way. As long as Sitemap generator script is able to find your "unrewritten" links, the search engine bots will find them too, despite the fact that sitemap includes "se freindly" links.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:43:29 PM »
Thank you for the reply, Oleg.

I intend to use .htaccess to re-write the SE friendly URLs into the internal arg-laden form for site visitors.

Your generator does exceptionally well at traversing the internal forms, and external bots
will too, but I would like to have the ability to have the output files contain the SE friendly form
of each URL by calling an optional last-moment-final-display-filter hook.
This yields a much-more appealing set of URLs for the sitemap.html file for example.

Please consider adding this feature.

Thanks,
John
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 09:33:22 PM »
Thank you for suggestion, that will be considered for the next version of Sitemap Generator.