Re: google sitemap error
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 11:43:22 AM »
Hello,

you should create a "new site" entry in Google webmaster account with [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] URL and then submit sitemap into it.

Okay, based on the above, and a little experimentation trying to access my sites pages from my browser (other than the index.html) I discovered that unless I type in the address bar my full URL (i.e. [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]), instead of [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] (which gets forwarded to my Angelfire URL),  the only page that will open is the homepage (i.e., index.html). In other words, I will see my main page, but not the articles.htm page.

Based on that, I surmised that Google is running into the same thing when trying to find mysitemap.xml, and coming up with nothing.

Therefore, I resubmitted my Website to Google using [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ], re-verified it, and resubmitted the Sitemap.  Already the results were that the newly verified Website was indexed (kinsmantile.com was not previously indexed, though it was verified). I'm now waiting to see if the Sitemap will be accepted.

I've just got to get a new Host, such as Hostmonster, as Angelfire just doesn't cut it, and the Domain forwarding that is required, because my Domain is through Yahoo, just creates all kinds of complications and trouble.  I need to transfer my Domain name to my Host.  Angelfire does not support transfers (it's crappy anyway).  Angelfire doesn't support much of anything!

I'll let you know what happens.

Bill Otis
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 11:54:26 AM by wnotis »
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 11:58:58 AM »
Okay, the results are already in, and I'm still getting:

Unsupported file format
Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit.

I don't know what they want.

I'm going to keep trying.  I've got my computer set up as a server, so I think I may download the files I created from Google's Sitemap generator, and see if I can run the necessary script on my computer.  It seems Google has to have it their way, and will not accept any other Sitemap.
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 06:12:21 PM »
Success!

I went back and resubmitted the original Sitemap generated by your Sitemap Generator (now that I was indexed using my full (Angelfire) URL.  Google now has accepted my Sitemap, so my hunh was correct, and the clue was in your post above. Thank you very much!

What Google was not telling me, was that it wasn't even finding a sitemap (I'm sure of this now). Once I subbmitted the correct i.e., full URL, and got indexed, and then the correct Sitemap I had created, everything was fine.

In trying to solve this I had created several other Sitemap files, and had not chosen the correct one to resubmit.   All is okay now.
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 07:37:03 PM »
The thing is, that you cannot submit domain.com/subfolder/sitemap.xml sitemap to the domain.com site, it can only be submitted to domain.com/subfolder/ site. If your site is on anglefire domain, you should upload sitemap file there and submit it.
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 12:16:49 AM »
The thing is, that you cannot submit domain.com/subfolder/sitemap.xml sitemap to the domain.com site, it can only be submitted to domain.com/subfolder/ site. If your site is on anglefire domain, you should upload sitemap file there and submit it.

I'm not sure I understand all that, but it doesn't matter anyway, because my sitemap has been accepted now.  I use FrontPage 2003, and FileZilla (for FTP transfers from my hard drive, where I store a copy of my Website).  I did everything through those programs. I just can't wait to get rid of both Yahoo, and Angelfire, and get to a REAL host, such as Hostmonster, which is my choice right now.  But it'll have to wait a while longer, as I can't pay month to month as I do on Angelfire, and I don't have the $140 lump sum right now to sign up with them (for two years ... it's really a good deal).

I checked with Angelfire yesterday, and they still don't accept Domain transfers, nor to the support .asp pages.  Yipes, these guys are so amature it's unreal.  ::)

Bill
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 12:55:21 AM »
I'm glad it worked for you this time and I wish you to find a good host for your needs in the new year.
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2007, 11:17:11 PM »
I'm glad it worked for you this time and I wish you to find a good host for your needs in the new year.

Thanks and Happy New Year to you too.  If I had not found this Site, I would probably still be trying to figure out what the problem was! LOL

You offer a great service here.

I'll be signing up with Hostmonster very soon, I'm sure (should have done it last summer when I had some money; but this is winter, and business is slow).
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 03:30:07 PM »
I have the same issues. Google Webmaster Tools keeps telling us we have missing pages but the sitemap tool has generated the wrong information because it has followed AJAX / JavaScript links on our site and called them pages.

Look at our AJAX popups on our site and you'll see for yourself.
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 04:42:25 PM »
Did you generate sitemap with our Online sitemap generator? What are example URLs you mean?