Maskil

Maximum 500 pages Limit Exceeded
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »
Hi,

My site is a Blogger-hosted blog.  I have posted just over 100 posts, and would therefore not expect my sitemap to exceed perhaps 120 pages with overhead.  Instead, I've been given the error message "Maximum 500 pages Limit Exceeded".  When I view the HTML Sitemap, I see many pages that are duplicated numerous times.  Any idea why this should be occurring?

My results appeared here:

https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/details-blog.altneuland.info.html

Regards,

Maskil

Mostly blogging here:
Altneuland
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Re: Maximum 500 pages Limit Exceeded
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 01:44:10 AM »
Hello,

sitemap generator indexes all pages found on the site, so you get more URLs found (including archives etc).

Maskil

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:57:27 AM »
Hi,

That explanation is not really satisfactory.  This blog has been in existence since +/- July 2007.  Posts are archived on a monthly basis, giving a maximum of perhaps 12 archive pages.  That still doesn’t get us anywhere near 500 pages; perhaps 120 at the most.  Even the most cursory look at the HTML sitemap you generated will show that most pages appear multiple times in the listing.

Does this have anything to do with other sites I link to?  The widgets in the sidebar?

Please could you investigate further?  You may find that this is a problem affecting other sitemaps generated, e.g. other Blogger blogs.

Many thanks.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »
Hi, yes you are getting multiple listings for your posts. The reason being is the script is picking up several links in your code. For example, if you look at the source code for [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] you will see the following valid links:

<a class='toggle' href='[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
<span class='zippy'>

&#9658;

</span>
</a>

<a class='toggle' href='[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
<span class='zippy'>

&#9658;

</span>
</a>

<span class='zippy'>

&#9658;

</span>
</a>

<span class='zippy'>

&#9658;

</span>
</a>

<span class='zippy'>

&#9658;

</span>
</a>

<span class='zippy'>

&#9658;

</span>
</a>
Philip Nicosia