yosemiteantiques

Unsupported Format error
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:24:43 PM »
Hello.  I hope we can get some help.  We generated the site map but when sending it to Google they give an "Unsupported Format" error.   And then when trying to validate it we again got "unsupported format" error.   Google does find about 25% of our itemss when you do a direct search but not the rest.  That's why we tried to initiate the site map.

Not sure what is actually causing the error message or what to do next.  The only thing we can think of is that our site was created in strict html as opposed to transitional.  Could that be the problem?  I don't even know what you need to look at to help us.  The URL for our site is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].  Thanks in advance.
Re: Unsupported Format error
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:16:26 PM »
Hello,

what is your sitemap URL?

yosemiteantiques

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 08:21:04 PM »
Hi,
I have actually created two:
It is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] which is in Transitional and
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] which is Strict.
Google gives me the same error on both.
Thanks

yosemiteantiques

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
Hi Oleg,
Thanks for the reply.  The problem is I use a program called NVU and it doesn't seem to want to allow me  to save a file as an xml document.  Any suggestions as to how I can do it.  I can then send it via the FTP server and upload it myself.
Thanks,
David

yosemiteantiques

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 07:47:37 PM »
Hi Oleg,
I did figure out how to save it as an xml file and have uploaded it.  Goggle says the status is pending so we will see if it works.
Thanks,
David

yosemiteantiques

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »
Hi Oleg,
Well, it looks like sucess!  It came back as NO ERRORS and it picked up all of my urls.
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
David
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 11:45:20 AM »
Hallo, I've got the same problem with my site [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]. I generated sitemap and uploaded it to public_html/, but after I submit sitemap in my Google Webmaster Tool, I still get the same error: Unsupported file format. My direct link to the sitemap is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] What am I doing wrong?

Thanks inadvance,
with kind regards, Maks
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 08:07:33 AM »
I cannot open sitemap with URL you posted above, make sure that you uploaded sitemap.xml into your domain root folder.