Problem with H-Sphere?
« on: July 31, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
Hi,

Have you received reports about problems running the sitemap generator on H-sphere servers?

I've been running it on my shared host which uses H-sphere since last year and never had a problem til last month. They upgraded their H-sphere and now the sitemap generator keeps timing out on sites with lots of pages. Small sites, like if the site were only about 7 pages long, there'd be no problem.

The max_execution_time is at 300 and memory_limit is 32M. These values used to work fine until they upgraded their H-sphere version. PHP version is 5.2.5.

Any information and help would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
Re: Problem with H-Sphere?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 09:57:48 PM »
Hello,

did they have the same PHP settings earlier before update?
How many pages do you get crawled to the point of timeout?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 07:14:35 AM »
How many pages do you get crawled to the point of timeout?

I'll have to find out from their tech support first if they changed any PHP settings. I really doubt if I'd get a straight answer. ;-)

I can't tell how pages get indexed because it just stays stuck on the "Sitemap generation in progress, please wait" page and never moves beyond that. On Firefox, it stays on the "Waiting for site" state on the progress bar then after 30 seconds to a minute or so, it says Done. Then nothing happens afterwards. On Netscape (yes, I still use it), it gives an error page and says "Zero sized reply". On IE, it eventually becomes a Page Not Found page. All of this happens after about 30 seconds to one minute.

All of this just happened this past July or late June, after their support people informed us of a H-sphere control panel update. I told them I used to be able to use it prior to the update and they of course said there may be something wrong in the script.

Andrew
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 03:07:08 PM »

Were you looking for any specific change(s) that I should ask them about?

Andrew
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 07:16:57 PM »
What was max_execution_time and memory_limit setting before?

There was a time when they set max_exec_time to 120 and that caused a problem. So they changed it to 300 and that went okay. But now even at 300 it's not working anymore.

I don't recall memory_limit but it may have been 16M. The reason why I'm guessing 16M is because I recalled an issue with a different php script before and their tech support advised me to add "php_value memory_limit 16M" to my .htaccess and that solved the problem with the other script.

Andrew
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2008, 07:41:42 PM »
Please PM me your generator URL/login and I will check it.
Okay, sent.

FYI, I used the free sitemap generator and it timed out also when crawling my site.

Andrew