CRON jobs forbidden on our servers
« on: October 15, 2008, 09:37:57 PM »
Our host, who in every other sense are irreprochable, don't allow CRON jobs. automating the building of the Sitemap was THE motivation for me purchasing your Generator (which is great by the way). I thought I'd get aroud this by using a script that launches pseudo CRON jobs, triggered by the loading of a page. All well and good, the pseudo job gets triggered and then, bof, *This tool can be executed in command line mode only". Of course, now I've spent all these hours getting it all working I have learned a valuable lesson. your CRON job script runcrawl.php is a bit fussy. so, bottom line, is there any way to frig this?

I am calling a script from [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] using an IMG tag. I get the email telling me the job has been launched. But of course the job immediately fails.

I'd really appreciate you looking into this, and I suspect I am not the only one. Perhaps you could even add a feature that allows automation without CRON.

Our hosts, who hos around 60 sites for us, state that CRON is a security risk.

THANKS,
David, Geneva
Re: CRON jobs forbidden on our servers
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »
Hello,

in case if you don't have login/password set for sitemap generator (in this case I'd recommend to have it installed  in own custom folder, like "generator73D3k4B"), then you can use this as "command line URL":
Code: [Select]
domain.com/generator73D3k4B/index.php?op=crawlproc