Unable to create Sitemap for sub domains
« on: August 08, 2008, 09:37:05 AM »
Hello,

I am clear with the fact that I need to create separate sitemaps for sub domains and to implement that I have created the following folder structure on my site.

/sitemaps
  /www/
    /generator/
  /sub-domain1/
    /generator/
  /sub-domain2/
    /generator/

Above I have created 3 sub-domains I have (i.e. www, sub-domain1, sub-domain2) within the sitemaps folder and added the /generator/ folder within each sub domain folder to create sitemap.xml and urllist.txt with their own sub-domain folder. The entry I have made in each one's config file is given below:

1. [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
SITE URL (to crawl):  [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Generate path: /home/public_html/sitemaps/www/sitemap.xml
Access URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
(same for urllist.txt too)

2. sub-domain1.mysite.com
SITE URL (to crawl):  [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Generate path: /home/public_html/sitemaps/sub-domain1/sitemap.xml
Access URL: sub-domain1.mysite.com/sitemaps/sub-domain1/sitemap.xml

3. sub-domain2.mysite.com
Generate path: /home/public_html/sitemaps/sub-domain2/sitemap.xml
Access URL: sub-domain2.mysite.com/sitemaps/sub-domain2/sitemap.xml

But when I run the script it is NOT working and is NOT creating the sitemap. It is not indexing a single page. I am unable to find the reason for this.

NOTE: I don't have separate folders for these sub-domains on my server and the application which i have created is developed on Zend Framework so all the request are routed via index.php (the bootstrap file) on root.

Also, i would like to know that creating sitemap.xml and urllist.txt in sub folders (like i am doing above) is a best practice or not? Will google and yahoo like search engines will be able to access these files?

Kindly treat this as URGENT! and an early reply would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ashish
Re: Unable to create Sitemap for sub domains
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 02:33:22 PM »
Hello,

please try our SE bot simulator to diagnose possible site crawling issues (like robots.txt blocking, robots metas, rel=nofollow etc): https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/se-bot-simulator.html

Also, i would like to know that creating sitemap.xml and urllist.txt in sub folders (like i am doing above) is a best practice or not? Will google and yahoo like search engines will be able to access these files?
sitemap.xml must be located in (sub)domain root folder, i.e. sub-domain2.mysite.com/sitemap.xml