Windows file permissions
« on: August 13, 2008, 06:26:44 AM »
Hello,
I have recently purchased this product and have problems setting file permissions. I saw a lot of posts here regarding this subject but didn't find any clear answers. The administrator keeps answering that permissions can be set via Remote Desktop. Well, I understand that...Would you please post clear instructions on what needs to be done? I am using Windows server. I right click on file/folder and go to its properties and set permissions to allow write and execute. I am still getting an error that I am not authorized to view this page. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
Eugene.
Re: Windows file permissions
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 03:42:10 PM »
Hello,

setting permissions is only related to saving sitemaps by sitemap generator. If you get an error when opening sitemap generator page in browser (BEFORE even starting generator), then it must be related to something else.
What exactly is the message you get?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 04:33:08 PM »
Here is what I get - HTTP 403. Thank you!

You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] home page.

You can click  Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden
Internet Explorer 
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:08:03 PM »
The first thing to do would be to make sure that you host supports PHP language (which is required). Also, try to reset changes back and open sitemap generator.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 12:58:54 AM »
Most likely the problem is with PHP. I do have it installed on the server, but I don't think it works with IIS web server. After doing some research I found out that I have to install a library that supports running PHP with IIS web server. It would be very useful to your customers if you mentioned it clearly up front and put documentation together on what needs to be done on Windows servers running IIS web server and what the consequences are of installing additional library.
I will look further into this and see if I can get this going before deciding whether to use this product or not. I wish it was all explained before I paid money for this or at least have trial version available for download.
Thank you,
Eugene.
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 10:31:41 PM »
I got this working w/o issue... however one catch that's not documented:

click on the generator directory
right mouse click
get the "generator properties" folder
goto documents tab
add index.php to the "enable defrault content page"
move it to the top.

then it should work
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 10:42:39 PM »
Thanks, Nowell!  That's the kind of advice I've been looking for and thought was missing from the documentation. 

I tried that and it got me a little bit further but not all the way there.  Now I don't get a 403 error anymore.  However, all I get is a blank (completely white) web page.  If you or anyone else has a helpful suggestion beyond telling me that I need to have PHP installed it would be greatly appreciated.
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 10:47:09 PM »
I should add that when I view the source of the index.php page this is what I see:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=windows-1252"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

I'm guessing that there is some sort of content that supposed to be be dynamically generated.  I would guess that some parameter has to be set...?