Please help with my sitemap upload
« on: July 05, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »
Hi guys, thanks in advance for any help you may give me. I have just created a new website which i have uploaded and is running fine,i now need to upload a sitemap, i have followed the istruction on this site but keep getting the following error message at google webtools:

Unsupported file format
Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit.

could anybody please help me :), i would be  forever greatful as this is a new business, my website is located at [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and i created he sitemap and uploaded it to Sitemap.xml.

thanks again for your help

Chris
Re: Please help with my sitemap upload
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 02:39:32 AM »
When sitemap is generated, you should right click on xml sitemap link and save it to your computer, then upload sitemap.xml to your site. Do NOT copy/paste sitemap contents.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 08:33:56 AM »
 :) :) :) :) :)

Many thanks, i have done what you said and it all now seems fine with no error messages from google, i was making the mistake of copying and pasting the code into a new page.

so thanks for your help

Chris
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:47:56 PM »
I've got the same message on [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]. I did notice that I can't just type in mysite.com/generator but had to type in mysite.com/generator/index.php to get the thing started. I don't think I can just downlaod the link to the sitemap.xml and upload this to my site over writing the sitemap.xml.

Is there something else I can do?
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 02:46:21 PM »
Yes, in some cases (depending on server configuration) it is required to append "index.php" to URL. Make sure that you have generated sitemap.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 10:39:58 PM »
The sitemap is generated, but google is still gives me the following:

Unsupported file format
Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 03:47:22 PM »
Don't you have .htaccess file in domain root folder that might affect xml files handling?
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 08:04:56 PM »
I have one of those but I'm not sure what it does and I can't open it. Can I send you a copy?