Google WARNING - same priority
« on: July 11, 2008, 07:11:45 PM »
I've been using the “Online Sitemaps Generator” for 6 months now.  Thank you.

I created and uploaded new sitemaps last week and Google just finished crawling my sitemaps.  It also reported the exact same error on two of my sitemaps - WARNING:

“All the URLs in your Sitemap have the same priority.
All the URLs in your Sitemap are set to the same priority (not the default priority). Priority indicates the importance of a particular URL relative to other URLs on your site, and doesn't impact your site's performance in search results. If all URLs have the same priority, Google can't tell which are more important.”

I’ve been running and uploading xml sitemaps (by XML-sitemaps.com) for 6 months now on these same sites.  Has Google changed something?  As you know I can’t change the “Online Sitemaps Generator” PRIORITY as it’s automatically calculated and I don’t want to manually change the XML code for every link.

Any thoughts…

Thanks,
Bob
Re: Google WARNING - same priority
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 05:10:03 AM »
Hello,

thank you for your question. We have recently implemented an "Automatic priority calculation" feature for free online sitemap generator, so this issue should be addressed. Please regenerate sitemap for your site, upload it to your server and resubmit to Google.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 06:50:40 PM »
Thank you for the response,

Now I have Google WARNINGS on all four xml sitemaps for this set of websites.  I regenerated all xml sitemaps just now (07-12-08) and they’re EXACT to last week’s xml sitemaps that were generated and uploaded to Google (07-07-08) and now giving me the WARNINGS with Google, so no reason to re-upload the same files:

DATE GENERATED and UPLOADED to GOOGLE + URL
07-07-08 – [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]  (1 url - home page only)
07-07-08 – [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]   (1 url - home page only)
07-07-08 – [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]   (1 url - home page only)
07-07-08 – [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]   (7 urls)

-  all entries in all of the sitemap.xml files have a priority entry of:  <priority>1.00</priority>
-  i’m reading Google’s USING SITEMAP PROTOCOL and it suggests that the default priority of a page is 0.5

Thanks,
Bob
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2008, 04:34:57 PM »
Hello,

for 3 of the sitemaps you have only a single URL in them, so you cannot have different priority assigned. We will exclude "priority" attribute from the sitemap in case if only 1 page is indexed.
As for the 4th sitemap, please try to regenerate it - it should work now.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 02:04:30 AM »
I've recently tried your online site map generator and I seem to be getting the same problem with google

"All the URLs in your Sitemap have the same priority.
All the URLs in your Sitemap are set to the same priority (not the default priority). Priority indicates the importance of a particular URL relative to other URLs on your site, and doesn't impact your site's performance in search results. If all URLs have the same priority, Google can't tell which are more important. Help   Found: Jul 16, 2008 "

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

A few days ago the priority was all listed as "1.00" within the site map so I regenerated the sitemap and resubmitted ... you'll see the index page now has priority "1.00" the rest are all "0.80"  is that why its generating errors ...I'm very new to creating sitemaps so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help :)
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 07:50:31 PM »
You should just resubmit sitemap - now with different priority settings it should get rid of the warning.
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
HI - yes I did resubmit and still getting the same warning  from google unfortunately ...any ideas?
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:18:20 AM »
I've submitted your sitemap and got no warnings:

Filename    Format    Last Downloaded    Status    URLs submitted    

sitemap.xml
   Sitemap    1 hours ago    OK    10    Details
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 12:28:40 PM »
Thanks very much admin - I'll try a 3rd time and see if it works  for me :)
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 12:01:05 AM »
Hi
I too am getting the same priority warning. I have resubmitted the site map 4 times.  all pages are .80 whatever that is. how do I fix this if the generator is still producing a site map with the same results?
all help appreciated
looserfoot
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:42 PM »
Hello,
          I was wandering if you could help I seem to be having the same problem generating my sitemap with the priority being set at 1.0 and the rest of my pages set at 0.8. i have tried uploading my sitemap a few times and  without automatic priority but nothing seems to be working.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks Grevic
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 11:17:14 PM »
Hello,

if you have only a few pages I'd recommend to disable priority option when generating sitemap.