« on: November 18, 2008, 07:01:53 AM »
Hello,
i have website about gaming, and its fairly active, i mean:
3-6 news a day
1-2 articles a week
10-15 new forum topics a day
200-300 forum posts a day
and so on...

A lot of data every day.. of course, website is 3+ years old and has over 8000 news data base.. and over 11 000 forum topics.
Anyway i want to generate sitemap for my website, but, as it has so many data every day, i was wondering, how i should do it. I mean, its non-sense to generate all possible links in my website, so maybe its enough to build sitemap only with main links (because i wont generate sitemap every day anyway), like:

site.com/news/
site.com/forum/
site.com/tourneys/
site.com/blogs/

site.com/quake/news/
site.com/quake/forum/
site.com/quake/users/

without site.com/news/show/12790/web-title/ and so on.
So, any suggestions or advices?

p.s. sorry for my bad English.
Re: Sitemap question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:45:47 AM »
Hello,

I'd say that having a partial sitemap with main website URLs as you described is better than having no sitemap at all and should improve your indexing.
However, crawling of 20,000 URLs should not be a problem for standalone sitemap generator script ( https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/standalone-google-sitemap-generator.html ) and you will be able to setup a scheduled task (cron job) to automatically regenerate sitemap with new URLs every day.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:30:19 AM »
Hello,

I'd say that having a partial sitemap with main website URLs as you described is better than having no sitemap at all and should improve your indexing.
However, crawling of 20,000 URLs should not be a problem for standalone sitemap generator script ( https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/standalone-google-sitemap-generator.html ) and you will be able to setup a scheduled task (cron job) to automatically regenerate sitemap with new URLs every day.

Thx for your reply.
p.s. My total website data base is almost 300 000 links:  Results 1 - 10 of about 298,000 from ..
I'm using Google Webmaster Tools, and my website crawl rate is set to "Faster", so i was wondering, if its worth to do partial sitemap at all, because google is indexing my website very often. When i check my website cache date in google, its always 1-3 days old.
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:57 AM »
In case if your site is already fully indexed and updated fast then I would not be worried. However, having the full up-to-date sitemap regenerated daily would be a plus though.