Optimum Link Depth Settings/Link Depth And Google Indexing
« on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:24 AM »
Hi,

We run some large affiliate and aggregated content sites and are having some problems establishing the optimum link depth settings.

If we run the sitemaps with no link depth limits, they essentially never finish (assumably because they get into a loop).

Sitemaps do finish with reasonable time with a link-depth of 30, but I have noticed that google does not initially appear to index the pages.

However, with a lower link-depth (10, for example), google appears to immediately index most of the pages.

Does anyone have ideas on the following questions: -

1. Is there a standard optimum link depth setting?

2. Is there a connection between link depth and indexing of pages by google? (i.e. does google more readily index pages referenced in a sitemap generated within a lower link-depth setting?).

3. It is better to create sitemaps with more page that are not immediately indexed or less pages that are immediately indexed?

Thanks very much for your help.

Arya.
Re: Optimum Link Depth Settings/Link Depth And Google Indexing
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 10:16:12 AM »
Hello,

I noticed that Google often indexes pages that are "closer" to website homepage better than others, so this might be related. Overall, a good site structure should allow to reach *any* pages on the site with relatively small number of clicks.

Also, sitemap generator puts lower "priority" attribute for links that appear "deeper" in the site ("Automatic priority" option), you can try to set the same priority for all or disable that attribute altogether.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 11:58:50 AM »
Thank you for this.

Could you provide some more specific information on exactly how to configure the generator to 'reach *any* pages on the site with relatively small number of clicks' please?

What specific settings would you recommend please?

Thanks very much,

Arya.
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 04:05:15 PM »
This recommendation is not related to sitemap generator, but generally to your website structure, your site developer should take care of this.