Help fixing problem; Used the free online site map generator
« on: January 01, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »
successfully generated a site map, downloaded it as Download un-compressed XML Sitemap, opened with Word, pasted it on a page within my site now I cannot open that page getting this error message; Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/knifeolo/knifeology-www/sitemap.xml.html on line 64.  My objective was to submit page to Google sitemaps.....it worked OK last time I tried this. 

I did a search on the error and found explanations of what to do but I cannot find a problem as described that would cause this error.  Any help would be appreciated.
Re: Help fixing problem; Used the free online site map generator
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 04:09:00 PM »
an update to the problem........the host for my website suggested-----A parse error means that the page can't be generated because the underlying code is broken or unrecognized. You may want to rename your file to
"sitemap.xml" and try to rerun it. I'm not familiar with adding the .html extension on an xml document.-----did this now getting this error message when attempting to view the page;

This page contains the following errors:
error on line 4 at column 29: AttValue: " or ' expected
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.

Nothing shows below this statement.

everything else works fine on my website [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].  The site is built with Freeway Express.
Any help/suggestions appreciated.  Not sure if the online sitemap generator is generating the error or something else.
Re: Help fixing problem; Used the free online site map generator
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 08:29:51 AM »
Hello,

you should put the sitemap file as sitemap.xml, not sitemap.xml.html.

Also, it's recommended NOT to copy/paste sitemap contents, but just download the xml file and upload it as is via FTP.