Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format.
« on: December 03, 2008, 01:19:59 PM »
Could someone please tell me why Google refuses to read my sitemap? I have tried every trick I can think of and I always get "Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit. ".

When I created the sitemap I right clicked and saved it local, then upload the sitemap to the root directory.

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Re: Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:06:26 PM »
BTW, the file was uploaded as sitemap.xml. Any suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »
THANKS VERY MUCH! That was what was causing my issues, everything is working fine now. Thanks again for your help!!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 10:29:51 PM »
Hi,
I seem to have a similar problem. My problem started with new pages not being indexed by Google for over 2 weeks. I have some very old pages indexed by Google, but pages that I have added to my site 2 weeks ago are still not indexed. But I know Google did crawl my site. So, I though of adding a sitemap. I did, and I am getting:

"Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format"

I have no idea why. My site is *.htm document. How did you find out that something redirects all googlebot requests to external site in case of kkey1's? I am wondering if I have the same problem, but I am not sure how to find out. If it helps, I am hosted at 50webs (so, i do not have access to .htaccess). Here is my sitemap if it helps: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Any advice  much appreciated.

Thanks.
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:12:29 PM »
I got it, thanks. I finally made it work. My problem was not escaping ampersands in my urls. Damn thing, I do not know why Google can't set up their error messages to be more helpful. My web site did not get indexed even after submitting the sitemap. I guess it just needed time. The site got indexed after some 6 weeks! I have no idea why it took so long. Nevertheless, as I was working on my problem, I ran into this How to create Google sitemap tutorial (
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] ) It was pretty helpful to me, so I am sharing it here. Google does not do very good job in explaining how the sitemap should be created, so one has to search the web.