I am trying to make my first xml site map and need advice
« on: March 02, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »
My name is Tim. I generated  a site map and it says that I have two steps left. The first step says "Download the sitemap file here and upload it into the "public_html/" folder of your site([ External links are visible to forum administrators only ])."
I uploaded sitemap.hml to my file editor. When I view the page it has this at the top..."This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." It is followed by this..."<urlset xsi:schemaLocation="[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]             [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]">

<!--
 created with Free Online Sitemap Generator www.xml-sitemaps.com
-->" and then all of my various links and such.

I am still learning. Is this what it is supposed to look like or am I doing something wrong? I do not have a folder titled "public_html", so I uploaded it as sitemap.hml to the general file editor as it's own folder...Is this okay. I appreciate any help in this area...Thanks Tim.

P.S. There are several links on the page such as...Download compressed XML Sitemap,  Download ROR Sitemap, ETC., Do I need to download these. I need advice. Thanks...

Re: I am trying to make my first xml site map and need advice
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:55:27 PM »
Hello,

yes, that is ok - sitemap doesn't need any stylesheet, feel free to submit it to Google.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 01:48:12 AM »
Hello! I have the same issue, I am very technically challenge so please be patient with me.  I have generated a site map and I don't really know how to proceed. This is the info I got:Download the sitemap file here and upload it into the "public_html/" folder of your site ([ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]).

When I select "here" I get a prompt to open the xml document, I then select OK and a internet explorer opens with all kinds of html on the page with this on the address bar:C:\Documents and Settings\Maila\Local Settings\temp\sitemap.xml

After this I don't know how to proceed. My website is hosted by homestead and I have the sitebuilder in my computer. Can you please advise me what to do next?

I appreciate your response.

Mhyles
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
Hello,

you should *right-click* on "here" link and select "Save as" item, in this way you will get sitemap.xml on your PC and then upload it to your site.