annamiller06

Could a new sitemap have less pages than a prior site map?
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:57:51 AM »
I have a quesion.  You probably have the answer.

My sitemap 3 days ago had 288 pages in it.  I added a few new pages, so I thought I'd generate a new sitemap to upload to Google. 

My sitemap today has only 203 pages in it.  That's not right.  How could there be less pages today than there was 3 days ago?  I added new pages today.

I hope you can answer me.  Thanks, Anna
Re: Could a new sitemap have less pages than a prior site map?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:48:49 PM »
Hello,

please compare your old and new sitemap to find urls that were removed and make sure that those pages still can be found, starting from homepage.

annamiller06

Re: Could a new sitemap have less pages than a prior site map?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
Better yet, I went to Google Webmaster Tools and found a bunch of URLs that were rejected by Google for one reason or another.  The number of URLs is just about the number missing from the new sitemap.  So, I'm using the 203 page sitemap.  I just checked my Sitemap status on Google and there are no errors in this sitemap, so I think all the missing pages were bad, corrupted, whatever......

Thanks for the feedback.  Anna from [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

I   L O V E  XML-SITEMAPS.COM  ...  I   L O V E  XML-SITEMAPS.COM  ...   I   L O V E  XML-SITEMAPS.COM  ...