sitemap help in google
« on: March 16, 2009, 02:44:33 AM »
Ok, so I had my sitemap done up and was able to upload it onto my site, now my only question is when I go to the google webmaster tools it asks the url of the sitemap.  Do I need to create a new webpage and just copy an paste the info from the sitemap into the html in between the body tags or????????

Help!

Rufman
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Re: sitemap help in google
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 02:28:06 PM »
hi, this may not be right as I am a newbie myself, but if you just type in your web address into the browser and also type in the filename /sitemap.xml it might well pop up so you can see it.

for example in the search bar at the top type in [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and hit return. This is actually your sitemap address. It took me a few weeks to work that our as well!

good luck

sunshine
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
not sure if you got all of that message it seems to have cut some of it out. just type in /sitemap.xml after your .co.uk or .com of your full web address.

regards
sunshine
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 04:01:23 PM »
When i enter the url for my site map generated by this website, i enter [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] into Google's webmaster tools and it says 'You have entered a URL to a file. Please enter the site URL." ???  I don't understand why I am receiving this error. Can someone please help me?

Thanks!
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 01:03:27 AM »
Hello,

as a first step, you should add your site profile there (entering *website* URL).
Then you add sitemap to it (this time sitemap.xml is entered).
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2009, 08:20:50 PM »
Hi I've just had a similar problem.  I didn't have a public folder but a htdocs folder, I saved the xml sitemap there then when inputting my URL to Google I put /htdocs/xml-sitemap at the end.  Don't know if it's the software I have but it seems to have worked!  :D