Questions, questions...............
« on: March 17, 2009, 11:48:43 PM »
Greetings,

Several more questions if you all do not mind..........

When the Sitemaps are generated, two go into the public html file and two go into the generator file: the urllist.txt is in the generator file and I have a urllist.txt I had made from another program that I placed in my public html file. Common sense tells me to remove the one I had made and placed within the public html file and the 'assumption' is the one that is in the generator file will suffice as to where it is at, correct?  From what I have read, for Google, etc I do not need the urllist.txt. Also, my sitemap.html file is being sent to the generator file, should I redirect it to my public html file?

I am getting this Sitemap stuff figured out with little difficulty but the CRON has me thrown.

I understand the command line that I copy and past, which I have found on CPanel where to place it. The is the Linux and the Newbie button on CPanel and of course I am the newbie.

What exactly does this command line do?

Here is what I want to garner from all of this...I would like to be able to automatically crawl my site with XML and ping Google and Yahoo...does this command do this? I have read quite a bit on Cron but nothing is conclusive in what I have read on what this command does. This is an excerpt from the directions "12. Concluding, if you will setup the cron job to run the Google sitemap creator script and enable "Inform Google" feature, everything will work automatically without a user interaction required." How do you enable the Inform Google or is this just old info on the site?

I work on my site a lot, currently I have 3800 pages. I like the XML tool quite a bit, it has made things nice and error free, great tool.  I am trying to make this as automatic as possible and the CRON has me baffled.

Lastly, the dreaded Google...there has been some confusion as to whether it is good enough to have XML ping Google or do a submittal directly through Google's Web Master Tools...or both. Anyone with a hard knowledge on what flies or it's just best to cover all bases?

Regards,

Bob-
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 12:45:15 AM by west_coast_rottweilers »
Re: Questions, questions...............
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 01:55:26 AM »
Hello,

you can keep sitemaps in default folders. You should only submit www.domain.com/sitemap.xml to Google.

> What exactly does this command line do?

You can find exact command line on Crawling tab page, it looks like:
/usr/local/bin/php /path/to/generator/runcrawl.php

> How do you enable the Inform Google or is this just old info on the site?
There is an option in sitemap generator configuration for that, it's enabled by default.

> Lastly, the dreaded Google...there has been some confusion as to whether it is good enough to have XML ping Google or do a submittal directly through Google's Web Master Tools...or both.

You should submit it manually once and then let generator "ping" google every time sitemap is updated.