multi domain names, 1 webhost, sitemap help
« on: March 18, 2009, 10:16:42 PM »
the company i work for currently has 5 domain names registered and they all point to the same dns server/webhost.    Up until a week ago all the html, jpg files etc were thrown in together in the root or in sub directories.

ie .. there was about 30 html files in the root, and a default.asp that pointed the domain calls to various.html files so you could access the sites.  The images directory contained many more directories and the 5 domains pointed to any of them or all of them some time it was a right mess. the old web admin was a hack basically, what a mess.

-----------

I have finally just managed to sort out each of 5 domains and there respective html/jpg files into 5 individual directories now located in the root of the webhosting package.   ie /site1 /site2 /site3 /site4 /site5

I have re-created the default.asp page that sits in the root and redirects and cloaks the domain names to the correct directories when required. All of this is working great and from an admin point of view the site is 100x more managable.

I now want to sort out a sitemap as every page on the 5 sites has moved and I want to help the search engies find and referance the pages again.   At present I have a sitemap.xml file in the root along with the default.asp page.  In this sitemap file I have simply listed all the html files that appear in the root directory of each of the websites folders.   I have not conatined any content pages called from the ifames etc at this stage.

Is this the correct way to do it or should i have 5 sitemaps, one in each directory for each site, with possibly a master sitemap that points to each of the above in the root itself.

any helps ideas appreciated

Q

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 10:20:52 PM by qmizzle »
Re: multi domain names, 1 webhost, sitemap help
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 11:30:30 PM »
Hello,

you should create sitemaps for every domain, no need to create a "master sitemap" since it's not allowed to link to different domains in one sitemap.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2009, 01:21:16 AM »
Thats what I thought ....  next question that that raises though is because of the way I have set it up now , what is the correct format to put the file  "name /location" in the sitemap.xml file.

ie .... 

Bestbars.co.nz was the first domain the company registered and paid hosting for.  Then along come the other 4 domains "ezigrip.co.nz" , "ezigrip.co.uk" , "forddfs.co.nz" , "holdendfs.co.nz" and they were basically shoved intot eh same hosting space.

I have line spaced my default.asp page below so you can see how im redirecting the sites.
<%
Select Case Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_HOST")

Case "bestbars.co.nz", "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"
destURL = "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"

Case "ezigrip.co.nz", "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"

Case "forddfs.co.nz", "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"

Case "holdendfs.co.nz", "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"

Case "ezigrip.co.uk", "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"

End Select
%>

Now .... If i create a seperate sitemap.xml file in the appropriate websites folder  how would i code it...

<url>
<loc>[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]</loc>
</url>

or

<url>
<loc>[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]</loc>
</url>

I would prefer option 1, but if i enter that into a browser it doesnt actually work.  If you enter the second option the page shows up....  so I am guessing this is what I will need to do in my sitemap.xml file as well.     I would jsut prefer option 1 was all ....

is there a way to hard dode that in the defaul.asp file that i missed ?

thanks in advance.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:16:21 PM »
Am I right in thinking that you only have to buy one instance of the unlimited xml sitemap and can then install it on multiple servers/URLs?