Problem with XML Links in ASP.net
« on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:47 PM »
Hi,
I just purchased the standalone version and have run into a problem I do not know how to solve.  I have an asp.net site that does have some hard coded link structure, but also has link structure that is drawn into the pages via xml includes in the page. 

The generator does capture the hard coded link structure, but does not capture the xml include link structure, with is the bulk of the links in my site, wich is folder based. Is there any way to get it to read the folder structure and tag the foldered default aspx.pages?
Re: Problem with XML Links in ASP.net
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 11:30:16 PM »
Hello,

sitemap generator has a built-in crawler that follows html formatted links, similar to search engines. That's why you need to have those URLs added as html links (<a href>) to get them indexed.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:54:39 AM »
I used the tool at https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/se-bot-simulator.html and was able to read the urls fine from the xml generated links.  I had to change the web address from http:// to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ].

although now the process picks up the 400 plus pages, the process stalls out and never finishes, no sitemap is generated.
My findings on sitemap generator
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:14:02 PM »
I have tested XML-Sitemap Generator on both a Linux based html site  and on a windows dynamic site.  My dynamic windows site finally did complete a site map after 22 hours.  Html
Site on Linux machine with comparable number of pages completed nicely in about 30 seconds.   

The time it takes has nothing to do with the server I am on, as I have another script that does compile an XML sitemap in about 20 seconds, but does not have the flexibility that XML-Sitemap has .  All configuration is done from direct edit of the config file on the other mapping script.  20 to 30 seconds over 22 hours, that’s pretty much a no brainer. 

I hope they can somehow get this tool to work as well on dynamic sites as they do on old fashioned html sites.  It will be a heck of a tool if it gets figured out.  I guess for now I will just shelve it
Re: My findings on sitemap generator
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 01:37:44 AM »
Hello,

there should not be such a difference with sites of comparable sizes. Please PM me your generator URL/login so that I can check that.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:08:22 PM »
I did shelf this program for a while but now would like to get it up and going if possible. I updated to the latest version, starting from scratch after deleting all the old files.  This is hopes that updated changes might have fixed my earlier issues with extended run times

After installing the program on a .net sever and opening up the index page I see that there are some errors in what the program picked up as far as url addressing.  It picked up my main URL as this : "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"    notice the back slash then it also configured the  Your Sitemap URL as this: "[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]/sitemap.xml"  Notice again the back slash in the URL.  Not sure if the address for the server saved address of the actual site map in the Save sitemap to: box is incorrect or not showing up as "D:\hshome\accountname\XXXXXXXXXX.com/sitemap.xml"   again notice the

The program does not run and gives error as follows:

There was an error while retrieving the URL specified: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]/
Error message: Error opening socket to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
HTTP headers follow:

HTTP output:

changing the info on the page and saving dose not save the information  Looking at the permissions of the files they look to be correct except for the actual xml files, which are also 777, and unable to be changed.  But having a 777 should only add the exe command availability to the mix.

Any insight will be appreciated.  Thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
Hello,

you should allow write access to generator/data/ folder. In case if windows host you need to do that in hosting control panel (or via remote desktop) instead of FTP.
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 08:50:51 PM »
I have full accesses set.  (777 Host provided accesses.  IXwebhosting to be specific.) on the entire folder yet I still can not save the information and I still get the weird URL pick ups by the application  where by my main URL  has a backslash \ rather then a forward slash / (.com\) at the end and the sitemap url has this (.com\/sitemap.xml) as its final path designation. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:52:37 PM by bbest44 »
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
Hello,

on windows host it should be not 777 setting, but "write access for the usergroup that is running webserver processes", which is usually "IUSR_*" usergroup. If you cannot change the settings, then generator script doesn't have permissions to save the file in data/ folder.