Google - Status Error (Unsupported file format)
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:17:02 PM »
I recently purchased and installed this to create a sitemap for a large site. At first google accepted the sitemap and showed it was okay so I was monitoring to watch for indexed pages. Now, for the second time, it has changed the status to ERRORS with the description:
   Unsupported file format
Your Sitemap does not appear to be in a supported format. Please ensure it meets our Sitemap guidelines and resubmit
Here is my website sitemap, any help you can provide would be great as we just launched this new site and want to use a google search field once crawled/indexed. I saw a reference in these forums somewhere to a Google .84 schema or something but I am unfamilar with how to implement, if that could indeed be an issue? TIA.
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Re: Google - Status Error (Unsupported file format)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »
Hello,

may be Google had temporary issues accessing your site, I just submitted your sitemap and it has been processed fine:
Property    Status
Sitemap type    Web
Format    Sitemap
Submitted    16 minutes ago
Last downloaded by Google    15 minutes ago
Status    OK
Total URLs in Sitemap    142
Sitemap errors and warnings
No errors or warnings found.
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Google seems to accept it as valid at first, but subsequent visits to check my google account at a later time (to monitor for any indexed pages) shows that it has the error...
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 09:33:10 PM »
Just checked it again in Google WMT and no errors displayed:
Sitemap errors and warnings
No errors or warnings found.
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »
I guess I'll just have to give it a few more days, perhaps? My google webmaster account has a big red x next to the sitemap status still. Maybe it just hasn't finished processing, I'll keep my eyes on it. Thanks.