Sitemap file type
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:17 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions:

When I download the sitemap from xml-sitemap.com, its wants to save the file as a dreamweaver file.  I have an old version of dreamweaver on my computer, but I am using Microsoft Expression Web.  Is there a way to save the file other than a dreamweaver file, such as a notepad file or expression web xml file?  What should I do?

Also the directions for the sitemap says to "upload it into the "public_html/" folder of your site."   I don't have public_html folder.  Shouldn't I just save the file to the root directory as sitemap.xml ?   And also save a robots.txt file that has a reference to Sitemap:http://www.mysite.com/sitemap.xml ?

Thanks, Pat   ;D

Re: Sitemap file type
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:38:49 AM »
Hello,

you should right-click on sitemap.xml link and select "Save As". Then upload saved file to the folder where your domain root files are located (it's not necessary called "pubulic_html").
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:56:53 AM »
Hi,

Do you mean to right click on the generated download link and select the save target as option?  I was wondering why when I look at the file in my web sites in my documents, the file uses a dreamweaver icon, even if I change the open with program settings?  Although the sitemap.xml file uses a different icon when I open it in Expression Web.

Also is that last option of generated sitemaps that is titled xml sitemap content that has a scroll window for to copy and paste in a blank page in the root directory?  Is the that the correct way to use that option is to paste that into a blank page or a wordpad document?

Thanks, Pat  ???
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 06:02:01 AM by nexhead »
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:11:56 AM »
Do you mean to right click on the generated download link and select the save target as option
Yes, correct.

You should *not* copy/paste content of the sitemap, just save sitemap.xml file.