Does Sitemap Generator overwrite the previous xml file?
« on: July 04, 2006, 01:57:12 AM »
A couple of sections of my site are not completed yet and do not have a link to those section. I'm generating a sitemap of 50K urls, which as you may guess is very time consuming. Later, when I get those other sections of my site ready and enable the link to them, I'd like to map those sections without having to do the entire 50K already completed, but I'm afraid if it might overwrite sitemap.xml, rather than adding the new urls. Am I safe from that or should I do something different? Or do I have to generate the entire thing all over.

Thanks
Ted the Tool Guy

For a good time visit ! ;D
Re: Does Sitemap Generator overwrite the previous xml file?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:53:42 AM »
Hello Ted,

the sitemap generator script is designed to re-crawl the whole site and overwrite the previously created sitemaps to keep an actual version of sitemap only.
You can backup (rename) your existing sitemap before generating the new one though.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 12:24:23 AM »
The bit of a newbie here. Wondering what the steps steps I need to
after completing the following steps:

1. I have uploaded the Unlimited File Generator files as instructed.
2. I have created a Site Map account on Google
3. Got it verified by Google

My account on Google still does not show any SiteMaps submitted. I choose the automatic ping to Google but it is not showing in the admin section of Google SiteMap. In short how do I know the SiteMap has been generated and submitted to Google? Thanks for your help!

al
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:59:16 AM »
Hello,

the google ping option doesn't automatically add sitemaps to your google webmaster account (sitemap generator doesn't even know what is your google account :) ), so you should manually submit your sitemap.xml URL in your account.
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 09:24:20 AM »
Oleg, many thanks for the advice. I tried to upload the sitemap.xml file into my google account but seem to be having problems with the file. When I try to view the file [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] on a browser I get the following message.

The XML page cannot be displayed. Cannot view XML input using style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. XML document must have a top level element. Error processing resource '[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]'.

As part of the set-up process for the Unlimited Site Generator I created a blank file called  sitemap.xml at the root level of my server. Is this the file I should be uploading into Google? Is this the file that gets updated by Unlimited Sie Generator? If not what is the file with the site map I should upload into Google?

Thanks, al
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 11:33:26 PM »
Hello,

http://www.sellbuy.com/sitemap.xml is the correct URL for you and sitemap itself looks correct. "Cannot view XML input using style sheet. " is just a displaying issue for the browser, so feel free to submit it to Google. :)