Help: Traffic Down 90% Due to My Sitemap Error
« on: July 28, 2009, 03:39:31 AM »
We've lost 90% of our traffic since I tried to create our new sitemap.
I suspect the error is due to my installation or configuration. Google
Webmaster Central shows an error. Here is our sitemap:
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Does anyone here know how to fix it?

Thank you,

Greg
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:36:29 AM by Copywriter »
Re: Help: Traffic Down 90% Due to My Sitemap Error
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 08:34:17 AM »
Hello,

you should put your sitemap in http://www.domain.com/sitemap.xml and not http://www.domain.com/public_html/sitemap.xml

Note that traffic decrease should not be related to sitemap anyway - sitemaps only help search engines to index your site faster and deeper, so the worst that can happen in case if you have an error with sitemap is *no changes* from search engines (same as non-existing sitemap).
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 09:14:16 AM »
Hi Oleg,

I'm sorry, I was wrong about our traffic decline. Looks like our ISP disconnected our traffic stats this A.M.

Google Webmaster Central finally OK'd our sitemap. However, they found only 655 of 748 pages. Now, I'm
waiting to see how many they index.

Do I simply need to delete the sitemap.xml file from the folder public_html, then create a new sitemap.xml file outside? Also, do I need to change the config?
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 04:56:28 AM »
Hello,

Do I simply need to delete the sitemap.xml file from the folder public_html, then create a new sitemap.xml file outside?
Yes, correct.
Also, do I need to change the config?
Make sure that in your config "Save sitemap to" option points to sitemap.xml in domain root folder.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 10:41:35 AM »
Oleg, I'm going to transfer our messages from PM to here so that I receive an email notification.

No, I didn't delete the folder. I checked on the server, and public_html is still there, generator is inside it, and 9 files are inside it. However, it says those files were last modified 12/31/69. How could that be?
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 01:37:55 AM »
Thanks for the adjustment. I just ran the sitemap, and got the following warnings and error. How can I fix them?

Warning: fopen(/home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/): failed to open stream: Is a directory in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 99

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 101

Warning: fopen(/home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/): failed to open stream: Is a directory in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/mods/mobile.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 32

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/mods/mobile.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 34

Warning: fopen(/home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator): failed to open stream: Is a directory in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 119

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 57

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 181

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 183

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: () in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/mods/mobile.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 41
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 01:56:47 AM »
P.S. I also found these warnings on the Analyze page...

Site folders structure

Warning:  ksort() expects parameter 1 to be array, null given in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/page-analyze.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 55

Warning:  Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/content/s/a/l/saleswriter2/html/public_html/generator/pages/page-analyze.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 57
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:49 PM »
Hello,

you had "Save sitemap to" option pointing to a folder, while it should be full file name with path. I've added "sitemap.xml" to it and it works now.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »
I checked our Google Webmaster account, and it shows an error (see below).
Any idea why Google isn't accepting the sitemap?

Sitemap stats
Total URLs: 747
Indexed URLs: 0
Submit a Sitemap
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

Filename          Format    URLs submitted Indexed URLs    Downloaded    Status
sitemap.xml    Sitemap             747                    0              Jul 31, 2009    Errors
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 07:27:25 PM »
Please click on sitemap name to find out what exactly is the issue reported there.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 10:48:56 PM »
 Line Status Details
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/BCARD 12.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/BCARD 15.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/BCARD 16.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 11.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 17.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 31.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 33.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 35.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 37.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 39.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 40.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 41.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 43.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 55.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Cover 57.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/R1.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/R11.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/R6.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/SAVE04.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/SAVE10.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/SAVE11.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/SAVE12.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Scroll 4.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Scroll 6.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
 - Duplicate URL
This URL is a duplicate of another URL in the sitemap. Please remove it and resubmit. URL: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] Page/Sets14.phpProblem detected on: Jul 31, 2009
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 11:59:51 PM »
OK, Google accepted it this time. However, why did it change from 749 to 719 urls?