Multiple references to the same page
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »
Hi
I have noticed that there are multiple references to my Home page and some other pages in the genrated Sitemap. My website has a CuteNews php based content management system installed and nearly all of the categories have their own page. However the Home page has several boxes in which news is published and these "boxes" have their own category. I am concerned that Google may get confused by the Sitemap.

Also, without substantial editing the "human" friendly options would also mean that is unusable. What I would like is to be able to remove the duplicate references and sort the links alphabetically.

Geoff
Re: Multiple references to the same page
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:15:22 PM »
Hi

The site URL is: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

and many other URLs  have several references to the same pages.

Geoff
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 07:51:47 AM »
Hello,

I just checked your sitemap ( http://www.freshfordsomerset.co.uk/sitemap.xml ) and I see that all of those URLs are listed only once, do you see them duplicated in sitemap?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
Hi,
Thanks, the problem is that I also wanted to install a human friendly site map and when I downloaded it it had all those long URLs.

I just wanted a site map that consists of page  links similar to the one that Frontpage produces.

Geoff
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:25:03 PM »
You can exlude those pages using robots.txt file with something like:
Code: [Select]
User-agent: *
Disallow: /sustainability_freshford.php