Does Generator Read Links or Files?
« on: July 06, 2006, 03:34:35 AM »
When I have the sitemap generator crawl my site, is it going to read all of the files (.shtml / .html / .php / etc) on the site, or is it only going to read the files that my site is already linking to in the text?

In other words, will the sitemap that is created show me files that I have on the site that I have not already created links to?

Thanks,

-Danny.
- Danny

Re: Does Generator Read Links or Files?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 08:00:31 PM »
Hello Danny,

the sitemap generator crawls the sites very similar to search engine bots, so it will NOT find the pages unless you link to them.
When I have the sitemap generator crawl my site, is it going to read all of the files (.shtml / .html / .php / etc) on the site, or is it only going to read the files that my site is already linking to in the text?

In other words, will the sitemap that is created show me files that I have on the site that I have not already created links to?

Thanks,

-Danny.
Re: Does Generator Read Links or Files?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2006, 02:16:06 AM »
the sitemap generator crawls the sites very similar to search engine bots, so it will NOT find the pages unless you link to them.

Thanks very much, that is exactly the opposite of what I thought, but it is very good to know.  It means that every page on one's site must be linked by some other page on the site in order to show up in the sitemap.  It is also bad news for javascript menus! <g>

-Danny.
- Danny