I have one domain name but several webistes under it. Do I have to make a sitemap for every website that I have under my domain. For example, my main webiste structure is as follows

1) My main website is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and I have a sitemap.xml file in that directory
2) I have another site which is [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]  Do I need another sitemap.xml on this directory as well. I have about 4 different sites like this scenario (site3, site4....).

The main sitemap.xml only has info about the [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] directory. My questions are:
1) Do I need a sitemap.xml file for every site.
2) Is there a way for me to just combine all the sites information into one sitemap.xml file and where should I upload it.
3)  If I only need one sitemap for each site, do I upload all the sitemaps to the main directory with different names or do I upload them to each sites directory?

Thank you in advance.
Re: Should I have a sitemap for every website that I have under one domain
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 03:05:11 AM »
Hello,

in case if all sites are located in the same domain, you can create a single sitemap and put it in domain root.
However, I would recommend to create separate sitemaps if your site are "logically separated", then put every sitemap in corresponding site folder and submit them to Google.
Re: Should I have a sitemap for every website that I have under one domain
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:16:38 AM »
If you have one domain name but several websites under it. I guess you have to make a site map for every website that you have under your domain. For security reasons I guess.

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 02:50:53 AM »
Base on my experience, I love to find shortcuts when I am producing content for my website,  especially, when I am producing some standard type of page, such as a disclosure policy page. So, for me, it is better if you have a sitemap for every website that you have under one domain. Because a decent confirmation page that acknowledges an order and thanks the visitor for his or her business is essential.
Well, I think that it was good for making a direction of the site. It is compatible to use it because sitemap can cite a one site into a different domain name, to still that they forgot the site name.
in case if all sites are located in the same domain, you can create a single sitemap and put it in domain root.
However, I would recommend to create separate sitemaps if your site are "logically separated", then put every sitemap in corresponding site folder and submit them to Google.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 12:44:27 AM by xml-sitemaps »