online sitemap generator - priority
« on: September 25, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »
I set the priority to be auto generated. The pages were ranked 1.0 to 0.6 which is quite satisfactory for me.
One of the pages which has content updated weekly has a priority of 0.8. Can I manually set it to, say,  0.9 before I update my sitemap at Google? I like it to have a higher priority.
Another thing, can I have 2 different time intervals in the same sitemap? I like Googlebot to crawl weekly on the page where I update my content weekly. The other pages (like Terms of Use) will never change so I don't mind if it is one year. Can I specify 2 different duration?
Re: online sitemap generator - priority
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 10:06:25 PM »
Hello,

yes, you can manually change your xml sitemap, specifying different priority/frequency for pages.
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
I also would like to change the priority.
I have very limited computer knowledge.
Can you tell me the exact steps I need to do to change the priority of certain pages?

Thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »
Hello,

you will have to open sitemap.xml in a text editor of your choice and manually find corresponding URLs and replace frequency/priodity for it, then save the file.

In standalone sitemap generator there is an additional setting that allows to specify custom attributes for different pages: https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/standalone-google-sitemap-generator.html