bm7

Individual atributes
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:47:49 PM »
Hi Oleg,

I have just bought the software (very nice so far by the way) and have the following problem:

suppose I have (among others) the following links on my site:

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

I want [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] to get a priority of 0.8, while I want the pages below it to get a priority of 0.6. How do I set things up in "Individual Attributes" to achieve that? Whatever I tried, all pages in /dir/ (including /dir/ itself) got the same priority.
I want to do this without having to change [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

Thanks,
bm7

Re: Individual atributes
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:18:38 AM »
Hello bm7,

please try the following input for "Individual attrivutes" option:
dir/anothername.html,,0.6
dir/anotherpage.html,,0.6
dir/somepage.html,,0.6
dir/,,0.8

(in the same order)

bm7

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 08:25:21 AM »
Thanks Oleg, what you suggested works, but... it's practical only when I have only a few pages in the directory.
What if I have 100 (or more) pages in the directory, and wanted the main page ("dir/") to have 0.8, but all other 100 (or more) pages under dir/ to have 0.6 ?

And another situation (maybe it's the same problem, maybe it's slightly different) is if I want the home page, that is referred to everywhere as / (and not index.html or something like that),  to have a priority of 1.0, all (many) pages that are directly under the main directory to have 0.9, and then I want a subdirectory (e.g. dir1/ including everything below it) to have a priority of 0.8 . That's yet again a problem from my experiments (?)

I think that, unless there is a solution in the program to both the problems above I'm missing (very possible),  the program should be changed so it can distinguish within "individual attributes" between general URLs and specific URLS (so if there is something like " " or maybe [ ] around the URL then it is a specific URL I am talking about, and in all other cases it is a general URL pattern, e.g. "dir/" would be just the specific index page of that directory, while dir/ would be all pages under the directory dir.

And yet another problem in the same area that I think won't eveb be solved by the above - what if I want all page directly dir/ to have one priority, all pages direct;ly under dir/dir1/ to have a different one, and all pages directly under dir/dir1/dir2 to have a thrd priority? By the way I am not trying to drive you crazy with hypothetical questions - these are real life situations I have  :) (I have quite a a number of blogs and these create these situations).

Of course the alternative could be not to set priorities, but I'd prefer it if there were a solution to these situations.

Thanks,
bm7
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:10:17 AM by bm7 »
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 11:26:13 PM »
Hello bm7,

thank you for your feedback.
Please download the latest revision of Sitemap Generator and try entering individual attributes like the following:
dir/$,,0.8
dir/,,0.6
note the '$' sign - it means that the line will match dir/ folder URL only, while next line will match all URLs *inside* this folder.