error with sitemap.xml and ror.xml
« on: December 29, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
The sitemap crawled through 10k pages of my website succesfully it created the urlist just fine and the sitemap.html fine too.

But the one that i needed the most the sitemap.xml and sitemap.xml.gz were both not created successfully.

the sitemap.xml gives me this error

XML Parsing Error: no element found
Location: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Line Number 1, Column 39:<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

when i visit it through the stand alone generato,r and when i open it up is just that #1 line and empty.

sitemap.xml.gz is nowhere to be found. the ror.xml gives me the same error so i guess it mus tbe something when i created the xml files through dreamweaver. I want to be sure of what I did wrong before I run it again since it takes 3 hours.
Re: error with sitemap.xml and ror.xml
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:07:33 PM »
Hello,

make sure that before creating sitemap you have manually created empty sitemap.xml (or sitemap.xml.gz) file in domain root and set 0666 permissions to it.
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
Hello,

make sure that before creating sitemap you have manually created empty sitemap.xml (or sitemap.xml.gz) file in domain root and set 0666 permissions to it.

I use IIS and it says setting the permissions that way would work. How do I do this in IIS, I've been trying to create my sitemap for days now.

And also the paths always look wrongI always see this mistake \/generator. I always fix it but I dont know if this could be causing any more errors.
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:47 PM »
Hello,

on Windows server you should defined permissions either in hosting control panel or via remote desktop access, allow write access for IUSR_* usergroup.
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »
The generator folder has read write permissions

the sitemap.xml.gz has read write properties as well but the sitemap.xml.gz always remains empty...once the website is done crawling

it easily creates the sitemap.html and urlist.txt...

I don't know what I could be doing wrong.
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2010, 02:08:20 PM »
Please try to disable gzip compression,. create empty sitemap.xml file and allow write access to it.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:02:21 PM »
I did and I made sure verything else was correctas well again it has failed to create sitemap.xml these are the erros i get at the end

Creating sitemaps...
Warning: unlink(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\discounttruckaccessories\generator/data/sitemap.xml) [function.unlink]: Permission denied in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\discounttruckaccessories\generator\pages\class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 214

Warning: fopen(C:\inetpub\wwwroot\discounttruckaccessories/sitemap.xml) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\discounttruckaccessories\generator\pages\class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 119

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\discounttruckaccessories\generator\pages\class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 57

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in C:\inetpub\wwwroot\discounttruckaccessories\generator\pages\class.xml-creator.inc.php(2) : eval()'d code on line 181

and obviously i noticed the paths were wrong so i changed them and now i keep getting this error

Sitemap file is not writable: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Sitemap file is not writable: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

on the configuration page but i set all the right permission through IIS at this point i am very frustrated
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 08:11:42 PM »
Hello,

"Save sitemap to" setting is a *filename*, not the URL, so the correct settings in your case are C:\inetpub\wwwroot\... etc.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 09:21:26 PM »
I changed it but I am still getting all the same errors. I give up how can i get you guys to do this for me?

I didnt think it would be this frustrating to install it.