What file do I actually submit to google
« on: February 15, 2010, 01:07:42 PM »
Hi.

I have the sitemap.xml file in [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]  is this the file I upload to google, as the file says it is 0kb in size, but I cannot see any other sitemap.xml files in my public folder. I have looked in the generator folder, but there are no sitemap.xml files in there. There is a ror.xml file in public that is 10mb in size, is this what I upload to google.  Sorry I am a newbie with this stuff.

Many Thanks
Re: What file do I actually submit to google
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 01:13:30 PM »
Arh I found the file in generator data. What file path do I put into google for the sitemap.  I have added [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] is this the correct file path.

Many Thanks.

Craig
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 02:12:16 PM »
Hi.

I have tried to upload 4 different file paths and all have been rejected by google. I get this error message.
General HTTP error: HTTP 403 error (Forbidden)
We encountered an error while trying to access your Sitemap. Please ensure your Sitemap follows our guidelines and can be accessed at the location you provided and then resubmit.

Here are the file paths I have tried
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

and both have been rejected.

Do you know what I have to do.

Many Thanks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 02:49:34 PM »
Hi.

Here is some more info that might help you.

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /generator/data/sitemap.xml.gz on this server.

It seems to have trouble access the files on my server, but I went through the whole process of giving the folders/files the right permissions.  Data folder is 0777, sitemap.xml.gz is 0666 and the generator folder itself is 0775.  Hope this helps.

Cheers
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 05:40:16 PM »
Hi, you just need to submit the file sitemap.xml.gz

Nothing else as it is in your root directory.
Philip Nicosia
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »
Hi.

Once I recieved my email back from creating a sitempa file. I used the file path [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] and this seemed to upload ok.

Just a quick question, what do I do now, do I have to wait for google to index it. I have a tick next to status on google webmaster for my sitemap, and URLS submitted 19,250.

Thanks for the info
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:08:52 PM »
Hello,

yes, Google will now gradually visit all pages from sitemap and index them.