Cannot create sitemap
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:07:22 PM »
Hi there

I get the error message:

"There was an error while retrieving the URL specified: [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
Error message: Error opening socket to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]"

I have tried adding the i.p. address etc. to no avail.

I contacted the web hosts and they came back with:
"Loopback connections are prohibited, so a script can't go out to the internet and back again to the same webserver. "

So, is this software unusable for my site?
Re: Cannot create sitemap
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »
Hello,

please let me know your generator URL/login in private message to check this.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
PM sent
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58:59 AM »
Thanks, you managed to get it started.  :)

However I am experiencing the problem where the crawling seems to stop after a few minutes. I updated the php.ini file so I'll see how that works soon.

I have a couple of questions though.

1. Does the generator save a new sitemap.xml at the very end of a crawl or does it save it at regular intervlas during the crawl process? I ask because my sitemap.xml is still empty and the generator has been in operation (on and off) for hours.

2. Does it say "Please wait. Sitemap generation in progress..." even when crawling has been interrupted? (I suspect it does) How do we know when crawling has been intrerupted?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 05:22:14 PM »
Update:

I limited the crawl depth level to 2 and it worked fine and crawled 3000+ pages. But I obviously need it to crawl the rest of my site (25,000+ pages).

Is there a way to make it crawl from level 2 to level 4, or from level 4 to level 6 for example? My thinking is that by doing it this way there is less a chance it will fall over trying to crawl the whole thing at once.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:09:37 PM »
Hello,

it looks like your server configuration doesn't allow to run the script long enough to create full sitemap. Please try to increase memory_limit and max_execution_time settings in php configuration at your host (php.ini file) or contact hosting support regarding this.