Is there support for the feed:// protocal?
« on: March 05, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »
My company uses the standalone version but I cannot post there for some reason.  This issue plagues the free online scanner to so I felt it would be appropriate to post it here.  If not, moderatore please move this post.

We have a blog and links to our blogs rss feeds on our main site.  The blog also has links to its own rss feeds on it.  The sitemap generator does not appear to understand that feed:// is a base protocal and should not be appended to the current site url. 

As it is right now, both our stand alone and the free online one will be scanning a page like [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

It will come accross the feed:// link and will then try to go to that link by appending it to the current site url. so [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]   

This of course fails evertime and drives our "broken links" count through the roof.  Is there a way to tell it to understand that feed:// is an entirely new link protocal and try to treat it the same does the http:// protocal?

To get around this I had to add our feed:// URL to the Exclude URLs: list and for good measure the Do not parse URLs under the configuration tab and the Narrow Indexed Pages Set section but I'd like for our rss feed to show up on the sitemap file if possible.

Any suggestions?
Re: Is there support for the feed:// protocal?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
Also, I noticed in the conf file there is a setting for xs_proto_skip  would adding feed: to that list have the same effect as adding our blog url to the exclude lists I mentioned above?
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 08:18:16 PM »
Thanks!  My original post shows that I already did that towards the end.  I actually removed it from the do not parse and the exclude url's settings and added feed: in the conf file xs_proto_skip and it skips it as well.

My original question is how can i get xml-sitemaps generator stand alone to understand that feed:// is a new absolute link and not a relative link to be added to the current pages url?

I would like our feed url to be in the site map if its possible.  If its not thats ok though.
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 10:35:03 PM »
Hello,

please try to remove it from "exclude urls" and keep in "do not parse" urls setting only.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »
I will try to do that Monday, No access to the system at home. Thanks for the help!
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 02:49:57 PM »
admin,

I just tried it and it adds the link to the sitemap improperly.  It goes back to the original issue that the parsing engine in the xml sitemaps generator does not understand that feed: is a protocal that should be processed just like http: and give it its own entry on the sitemap.

the links generated with the suggested settings results in the follow link added to my sitemap:

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] 

The above link does not exist and it should be its own entry in the sitemap like this:

feed://mysite.com/file.rss

I have decided to add feed: to the list of protocals to skip in the generator.conf file for now as it seems it does not yet support the feed: protocal properly at this point.

thanks for the suggestions to try.