Last modified date?
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:08:15 PM »
Hello all,
I was hoping someone could help me with my xml sitemap. It seems when I open my xml sitemap in Google webmaster tools the date of last modified is the date I installed the xml sitemap. I even changed 3 specific pages on my website, and then when I checked the last modified date it still had the old date when site map was installed. What should i do to fix this?  Does the xml automatically change the date when you edit a page in your site, or is that something I must do manually? The reason I am asking is the date is not changing therefore Google will have no reason to re crawl that page. Any help greatly appreciated!

Have a great day! :)

Tony

Re: Last modified date?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 11:04:15 PM »
OK, If I regenerate the sitemap, do I have to resubmitt it to Google through Google Webmaster? Also should I delete the old one in my site folder or just save the new one, and override the old one? Is xml site map set up  to work automatically? what should i set for the preference on "Last Modified"? Use servers response.

Thank you for the reply

Tony
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »
You should upload new sitemap, overwriting existing  one. No need to resubmit it.
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
Hello again,
I am still having trouble with my xml site map.I did what you said "You should upload new sitemap, overwriting existing  one. No need to resubmit it." My new sitemap xml is not changing update dates either. I must be doing something wrong when I download it. I do not know why it is not updating the date.  After i make a change to one of my pages i go to my sitemap in my google dashboard and check it and the dates are still the same. When I downloaded the site map I checked servers response is that wrong? Any help greatly appreciated as I would like to be done with this.

Have a great day!

Tony
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:34:40 PM »
Hard to say exactly what is the issue, you can resubmit sitemap manually to Google at any time though.