Error opening socket
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »
I'm getting this error and looking through the threads it seems quite common on shared hosting. I've tried all the suggestions. The site is not on a dedicated IP address.

Is there anything I can do?
Re: Error opening socket
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:21:27 PM »
Further to the last post my hosting company says....

Thanks for your reply. We don't permit local loopback on our servers for performance reasons - we provide programmatic alternatives so that scripts can still run, and a sitemap generator in the control panel as we're not aware of any good sitemap generators that don't use local loopback.

Helllllpppp!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 12:22:12 AM »
They say...

Thanks for your reply. Any PHP script in your hosting package can be run on the command line via the PHP exec() function, and can make connections locally to the MySQL process on the server - therefore a sitemap generator could be written to generate a sitemap from your database and/or your PHP scripts and other files, depending on how your data is organised. Unless one exists, I wouldn't recommend writing one, however, and would recommend running a sitemap generator externally.
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 12:34:31 AM »
Hello,

standalone sitemap generator requires connection to the web-server (for crawling), not to the database server (since that is a universal script that allows to crawl any website with any structure/backend)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:22:19 AM »
Hi,

Thanks but what does that mean? and does it help me get this working?
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 10:37:36 PM »
It means that your host should allow local connections to web-server port to resolve the issue.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:02:48 AM »
The host (heartinternet.co.uk) will not make any changes  :'(

Will we ever get this working or if not can we get a refund?
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »
Perhaps they have an internal proxy running that allows web connections instead of direct connection?
Also, you can try to run generator in command line if you have ssh access to your host.