Images in Sitemaps
« on: April 23, 2010, 06:39:44 PM »
Hello,

referring to news from google, now it's possible to add Image info to a Sitemaps and Google can use it for enhanced image indexing:
[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

can we expect it in next update of XML-Sitemaps ?  ;)

and how to handle these nice optional Tags?

thank you
Re: Images in Sitemaps
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:08:34 AM »
Me too - I have lots of pictures.  :P
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »
It is under consideration
Philip Nicosia
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 03:29:26 AM »
Thank you in advance!  :-*
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 02:48:12 PM »
I just found this thread, and am giving the idea a fourth thumbs up.  Please implement.

[ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]

here is the context:

Image tag definitions
Code: [Select]
Tag Required Description
<image:image> Yes Encloses all information about a single image. Each URL (<loc> tag) can include up to 1,000 <image:image> tags.
<image:loc> Yes The URL of the image.
<image:caption>  Optional The caption of the image.
<image:geo_location> Optional The geographic location of the image. For example, <image:geo_location>Limerick, Ireland</image:geo_location>.
<image:title> Optional The title of the image.
<image:license> Optional A URL to the license of the image.

While I think that figuring out how to do the caption text automatically would be difficult, (you could use the alt tag for the image to be the optional image title.  Then mabe you could have an additional tab where you could allow the user to hand paste in the optional captions one at a time.....

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 03:09:39 PM »
After reviewing the settings in the sitemap generator menu, there isn't a place I could find that would add manually created tags in the defined google format.  So even if I wanted to manually edit the generated xml code with the image info, the next time sitemap generator crawled the site, the mods would be wiped out.

As a quick fix, could you add a insert your extra code here?