Please help - I opened a sitemap wrong and can't fix it
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:49:01 AM »
I tried to fix something and messed it up more.  I hope someone can help.

I downloaded, unzipped, and activated the google-news-sitemap-generator plugin to my website.  And FTP'd the xml file to my root directory.

When I typed in [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] I kept on getting 404 messages.  So I tried to fix it without really  knowing what I was doing.  Big mistake!

I changed the way the file called google-new-sitemap.xml opened to have it opening  with Opera.  At the time I thought I could always go back to the original configuration.  I found that I couldn't. 

So, not knowing what to open it with I tried a number of things.  First notepad, then excel.

As you might guess, nothing is working.

And, as you can tell, I've been grabbing for straws.

Next I tried deleting the plug in and downloading it again but the problem remains.  It downloads okay, but when I open up the zipped file I still have the same problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this?  What do I open an unzipped file that should be an xml file with and where can I find it?

As you can probably tell, I'm not very technically oriented.  So if you can help could you please take me through the process step by step - as if you were talking to a six year old?

Thanks.