New directories not indexed
« on: August 14, 2006, 09:25:35 AM »
Hi. I use the ftp program Fetch. I created 2 new directories from this program and included a number of files in these directories and uploaded them.  Everything works fine but the new directories and subsequent files do not appear in the xml sitemap.
Re: New directories not indexed
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2006, 10:07:03 PM »
Hello,

make sure that there is a link to these new folders from your main website pages.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:38:16 AM »
Thank you for your quick reply Oleg. I have a link to these new folders from my index page. I must have a link to these new folders otherwise  my site wouldn't work - there would be can't find errors - wouldn't there? I use dreamweaver to make my site - the link to the new folders are from a pop up but I wouldn't think this would be the problem. Does it just take time for Googlebot to find these new folders or should they instantly appear in the newly generated xml sitemap?
My site and all links are fine. It's just that the new folders are not in the site map.
Mark.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 04:00:10 AM »
Hello Oleg. FYI my site is  [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2006, 01:26:45 AM »
Hello Mark,
and what is the url to a new folder (that is not included in sitemap)?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 06:49:37 AM »
Hello Oleg. I'm quite green at all this! The new folder I have created is /port-fairy-accommodation/  You will notice on my index page that there are 2 properties in the new member's section that are in this folder. These 2 files - Lochaven & Seacombe - have been indexed and appear in my site map. I think I have done the links right there. I created this new folder in Fetch and have about 30 files in it. One of these 30 or so urls is  [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ]   On my index page you will find this file if you follow Port Fairy then go to cottages. Everything is working well except that these files do not appear in my site map. I'm sure I am doing something very silly. Mark.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 11:29:16 AM »
Hi Mark,

The problem is being caused because the script is not picking up links that are contained within javascript menus. This would be the same for search engine robots too.

We have created a search engine robots simulator on the site at https://www.xml-sitemaps.com/se-bot-simulator.html

Here you will see what links they will pick up. The 2 pages you previously mentioned are no problem as you have direct links to them from your home page.

Although the remaining pages can be picked up from [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] this page is an orphaned page as there are no links to it that are readable to search engine spiders.
Philip Nicosia
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 08:39:16 AM »
Thank you Junior member. I'm a bit lost now. Any suggestions? The whole idea of adding the new folder /port-fairy-accommodation/ was to help the site in the serps. Do you think it would?  Mark.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:27:05 PM »
Hi Mark,

The easiest solution would be to add a link to [ External links are visible to forum administrators only ] somewhere on your home page just as you have done with Lochaven & Seacombe.

That way all the new pages will be picked up by the sitemap and search engines will be able to reach these pages as well.

Philip Nicosia
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 11:39:09 AM »
Thanks Jnr Member for all your help.
I have decided to get rid of the javascript.
Problem solved.
Thanks again.
Mark.